Where to buy Dahlia Tubers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kentvegplot View Post
    Recommend 'After Eight' - bronze foliage, white flowers, went on brilliantly until the frost caught it.
    that's the one I want, if I ever work out how to stop my dahlias collapsing under their own weight
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
      Lady S. wants at least one pure B of L, which of course I can guarantee from cutting. As long as I can get one to strike.
      I've got some white dahlia being forced indoors at the moment, for stem cuttings (like fuchsias - it's dead easy)

Comment

I grew 'Dandy Mixed' from seed last year (Kings Seeds), a really compact bushy plant around 12-15" tall, and each one flowered it's socks off all summer and well into the autumn. It was my first forray into the world of Dahlias and I surprised myself by coming first with them at the local Garden Society show. I also grew a dinner-plate one from tuber (from Wilcos) called 'Pink Beauty' (I think), but like Two_Sheds, each flower was so heavy it kept breaking at the stem joint. Very frustrating.

Comment

They are selling bags of 4 tubers in the Country Gardens centres for
          very little. They are all the original BofL. If you get them in trays of compost
          now and with some warmth you should have loads of cutting material by Easter.
          Dahlias are so easy from cuttings.

A field of gorgeous red dahlias for the summer!

Comment

Originally posted by shushkin! View Post
            They are selling bags of 4 tubers in the Country Gardens centres for
            very little. They are all the original BofL. If you get them in trays of compost
            now and with some warmth you should have loads of cutting material by Easter.
            Dahlias are so easy from cuttings.

A field of gorgeous red dahlias for the summer!
            What is (or are) Country Gardens centres please? Are they something peculiar to your area?
            Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
            >
            >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Found that one of my regular, and trusted, suppliers, Jane Lane Nurseries does 3 B of L corms for about £7+ including delivery. So Lady S. will get her lovely red flowers and dark foliage (if we should just happen to get a summer this year). The last one I got was a fluke in a packet of 4 mixed (but un-named) corms from the local £1 shop. Imagine my delight when one of them turned out to be B of L. Forgot to keep it warm in winter though and lost it. My excuse is that I was working then.
              Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
              >
              >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

I just bought some dahlia tubers from Bulbsdirect and they seem good quality.
                They arrived today and been planted up in trays of compost to take
                cuttings off in spring.
                They have a good selection and not just what "Taylors" sell in all the garden
                centres across the country. A good price to.
                My front garden will be all shades of purple, chocolate and cerise this summer
                with highlights of intense pure blue. I cant wait! (sorry, I sound like a character
                off the fast show!)

Comment

Originally posted by shushkin! View Post
                  ...with highlights of intense pure blue.
                  That's a very rare colour in nature. May I ask what flower you've got ?

Comment

Very true!

Well Twosheds good question. I suppose it is subjective about being true blue
                    but the flowers in question are penstemon electric blue and
                    salvia patens blue angel. These flowers definitely have intense electric blue
                    hues. I wouldnt be without them.

Comment

They have garden centres all around the south east so I would not
                      be surprised if they werent round your way. Taylor's bumper bag of 4 bishop
                      of llandaff is only £4.99 for 4 tubers. They look good sized tubers at that

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X