Mistletoe

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mistletoe

I have a bunch of snoggy-stuff leftover from Xmas which I hung in the apple tree hoping the birds could finish off eating the berries.
    Just wondered if anyone has tried growing it themselves in an apple tree?
    I saw the other week Monty Don pointing out a small growth he had grown from last year- anyone know how to do it?
    Does it matter where in the nick you put the seed part of the berry? - or indeed is there an ideal place tocut into the bark?
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Hi Nicos
    I tried this a few years ago on some hawthorn, but not sure it took.

I believe that if you do what the birdies do and rub it across the bark, near or into a fork in the branch, prefereably one with a small nick in it, the seed inside the berry has a chance to get in and grow. I think it can take a few years though, and do make sure that your tree is healthy enough not to mind (ask permission first!)

Be aware that this can cause tremendous stickinesss to the fingers though, but I can't remember whether it washes off hand easily.

Good luck

Comment

This is the definitive site for Mistletoe information. http://www.mistletoe.org.uk/

Comment

Thanks for that...will have a go- just wondered if a 4 yr old tree might cope??
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

It can't grow without a live tree, so should grow at the same rate.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X