Self-clinging climber for fence?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
    Our neighbours have just put up a brand new 'orange' fence. So I was wondering whether there's a fast growing self-clinging climber out there? Would be easier if it was self-clinging so we don't have to attach owt to their fence!
    Surely you can paint your side any colour you like can't you?

Fan trained hard fruit or soft fruit look nice? Not self clinging but only require wires attaching at each end!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
      Have had no luck with growing Clematis Montana outside (only grows very slowly in the polytunnel) and even the Mile A Minute Russian Vine died! (We've tried 2). Then the ivy didn't really take. I think the north facing side of the house, must be particularly cold at certain times of the year and just manages to kill everything off. Thanks for all your ideas. I'm still looking them up!
      Mine grows about 2ft a week in the summer jenny !!!
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
        Mine grows about 2ft a week in the summer jenny !!!
        Yes, thats very nice Nick, but what about the plants??
        Last edited by Mrs Dobby; 12-01-2007, 04:14 PM.
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

well spotted Mrs D. I nearly choked on my tea!
          Obviousy the far north is not yet good for climbers. Can one encourage lichen?

Comment

Ta, I think I might keep an eye out for a climbing Hydrangea, maybe an evergreen one, aren't they supposed to grow a bit faster than the deciduous ones?
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
              Our neighbours have just put up a brand new 'orange' fence. So I was wondering whether there's a fast growing self-clinging climber out there? Would be easier if it was self-clinging so we don't have to attach owt to their fence!
              When you say "fence", do you mean one of those horrible B & Q panel efforts? If so, you'll be lucky to get anything to climb it. I'm not sure what they use as preservative, but it's certainly not plant-friendly. Also, most climbing plants need a bit of help, at least to start with. Ivy is self-clinging (sometimes aggressively so), Virginia Creeper too, but most clematis and honeysuckles need something to twine round. A good clue is to look at a plant and see how it supports itself. If it twines round and round, then it will neet netting or trellis. If it sends out little "rootlets" from the stem like ivy does, then it will self cling.

Comment

Russian Vine - don't even think about it. I have some on my back fence, every year I cut it down, dig it up, and it comes back even stronger than before. Horrible stuff.

Comment

Perhaps a climber may not be the answer. If the fence is made of panels, the plant will probally last a lot longer than the fence and the weight of the climber may even help cause it to come down.

"orange" fences are such an eye sore. Maybe shrubs that will eventually reach the height of the fence could be the answer but anything that grows too quickly could easily take over your garden so it might take longer than you can cope with.

How about some Umbrella grass? this can grow up to 8" in my garden and will certainly hide an ugly fence during the summer months.

Comment

Disguising an orange fence

Hi, I painted my new fences black. Which, If I say so myself, looks fantastic!
                    Think of it like a backdrop in the theatre, so that all of the flowers become the starlets.
                    The fence will just disappear into the background, behind the plants. Even before the plants grow up it or in front of it, it will look so much more stylish.
                    I would agree with the ivy and the climbing hydrangea, preferably evergreen variety.
                    Diana x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X