dahlia supports? On the cheap please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dahlia supports? On the cheap please

So, all my dahlias have collapsed again this year. Ditto Jap. Anemones and delphiniums.

I had given them supports made of pea sticks and string (well, it was something) and that collapsed too.

Sarah Raven uses a grid made of bamboo canes lashed together ... but I don't have the room in my narrow borders.

I bought some plastic plant supports from Wilko, and they all snapped.

I might have a go at this, if I can get hold of concrete reinforcing wire cheaply (and get it on my bike too).
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Could you make a "T" at each end of the border, using a fence post etc, but with more than one "arm" on them at varying heights, and run washing line or similar between them?
    "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I use bamboo canes made into mini wigwams. Usually work well.

Comment

Originally posted by T8Ter View Post
        Could you make a "T" at each end of the border, using a fence post etc, but with more than one "arm" on them at varying heights, and run washing line or similar between them?
        No, there isn't space, and I don't have a dahlia bed, I just have them dotted about in the borders.

Rusty, I've tried the bamboo cane wigwam thing ... it just doesn't work because the dahlias don't cling. They need an upside-down tomato cage type thing (but I can't afford to buy them)

Comment

If the border has a fence next to tie them to that?
          I use upside down wire hanging baskets for shorter plants, if you could put those on canes...?
          Just one big cane/post/broom handle hammered into the ground when you plant them?

Comment

Dahlias don't really tie to a fence, or a cane. They are multi-stemmed: you can tie one or two in, but the other dozen all fall over with the weight of the flower. Daft stupid design, the dahlia.

I had thought about a wire basket on top of canes, it's the most likely option

Comment

My tall pink one blew over in a bit of a gale the week before last. As an emergency measure I hammered a bit of 4 f long 2"x2" in to the ground next to it and tied the stem in. The next day, it had bent over at string and decapitated itself. Think the Garden Fork boy's solution may be an option for next year!!
              Last edited by Pumpkin Becki; 25-09-2009, 12:05 PM.

Comment

I think I've only had about 2-3 brunches fall over this year, don't think I had any last year! Didn't even know you had to support them

Comment

Some of mine are tall but I put I thought that was because they were looking for the light as other things had got too big around them. I recently saw some fantastic supports that dont take up much room but I have lost the web address, they were quite cheap. Will have a look and see if I can find out.

I found it Plant Supports (uk ) ltd www. plantsupports.co.uk look for the Twist easy's they are brilliant from £3.75p plus p&p based in worcestershire. Basically its one stick with a twisted loop and supports the plant without having to tie them in, no damage to plants. Also lots of other good supports like the net cane support. I could spend loads.
                  Last edited by jackie j; 26-09-2009, 09:57 PM.
                  Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                  and ends with backache

Comment

Hmm I use these for my dahlias and they seem to do the job plus they're quite long lasting.
                    The Online Gardener - Gardman conical plant support rings 18cm dia. x 48cm high
                    AKA Angie

Comment

SR, that's the kind of design I want. However £4 x 10 plants is too much cash. I want to create my own out of pegs, string and things !

Comment

Twosheds, you don't have to tie in each individual stem. If you make the wigwam, then you just loop twine right round the whole plant, like I did with my red oriental poppy.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                          Twosheds, you don't have to tie in each individual stem. If you make the wigwam, then you just loop twine right round the whole plant
                          I did, and it don't work!
                          And if I remember, your dahlias collapse even worse than mine do

Comment

Hmm, would an old standing lamp do the trick? You know the ones with the lampshade made of wire with either cloth or glass on the outside (obviously without the cloth or glass). You could try a light store and ask if they have any broken ones (or a recycling depot!). Auction houses that do whole house clearances would probably have some that they bin because they are damaged/didn't sell. They should be sturdy enough to support the dahlias.

Comment

I guess this is too late for the 2012 Dahlias but I followed my husbands example and when planting the tubers I hammer stakes of 2 X 1 timber at either side (length varied to suit the size of each dahlia). As they grow taller I use that twisty rubber coated ties that you get in 3 or 4 metre lengths fastened round each stake and can adjust the height as they grow.
                              Putting the stakes in when I plant ensured I don't spear the tubers.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X