Half Hardy Perennials?????????????

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half Hardy Perennials?????????????

I know that a half hardy annual needs a bit of heat to start seeds, but what about a half hardy perennials second year?

Let me explain,..... I have grown some Carnation Chabaud Giant mixed which is a half hardy perennial but instead of sowing them early in the year with a bit of heat, I sowed them later in the year in the veg plot.

At end of november I dug them up and transplanted them into a large bucket in a well lit garden shed. They are now in full bloom and look very healthy.

This is where the questions begin:-

1) Are they FULLY hardy after the first year?
    2) Do they die down in winter?
    3) When would be the best time to seperate the plants (about 8 I think)?
    4) When could I re-plant them outdoors?
    5) What is procedure in years to come?
    6) How much space does each plant require?
    7) When is there normal flowering time?
    8) Is it worth taking pipings of the best ones and what time of year is it done?
    9) Can the 'two forks' method be employed for splitting them up in future years, i.e. do they clump?
    10) Any other tips?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Hi Snadge,

1) No
    2) Not really bu they will get cut down by the frost & killed
    3) Anytime as you could put them into big pots.
    4) After the last frost or under a cloche
    5) Same as this year
    6) Depends how much you've got I would have thought 12" would be OK
    7) Summer - buy Hey as the weather is who knows !
    8) You could do but it's easier to sow seed. Get some border carnations or pinks instead
    9) No cos they don't clump up really
    10) Don't eat yellow snow
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Very succinct as always Nic!

My eyes look a bit like pee holes in the snow this morning!
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Forgot to say thanks, will now go and look for some information on border carnations!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi Snadger,

Now you know why I stick to tea Allwoods sell "cuttings" but they are a bit pricey but I think they do seed as well which is always exciting as you don't know what you are going to get - and it's cheaper
          ntg

Comment

Hello Snadger, I think Nick answered all your questions but I would add, summer is the normal time to flower, but they will flower any month of the year, or all year round if you have them in a greenhouse. Half hardy carnations are hardy down to about zero so they will not tolerate frost but anything above that is fine. They are also easy from seed. No special reqirements there. Oh, and you know, they don't like acid soil. Hope you get some lovely ones. Nice for you to have some in the greenhouse at the moment.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
              Oh, and you know, they don't like acid soil.
              That could explain why the ones I had didn't do very well, had thought that it was just due to the soil being a bit on the heavy side in that part of the garden. You learn something every day!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Ideally they should be grown in an Alkaline soil but they are OK in anything from PH 6 onwards.

The same goes for Pinks as well (and Clematis)
                ntg

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                  Ideally they should be grown in an Alkaline soil but they are OK in anything from PH 6 onwards.

The same goes for Pinks as well (and Clematis)
                  Is that true for all clematis, Nick? They seem to grow OK in my acid soil, have 3 crawling all over the long fence down the side of the garden. - as I've said before I'm a bit trial and error with my gardening so don't always approach things very scientifically.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Clematis aren't so fussy but they do prefer an alkaline soil
                    ntg

Comment

Ta - not thinking of buying any more but will bear it in mind if I do.

Comment

Mine are growing in a coir based potting medium but seem to be thriving. Just wonder whether they add a bit of lime when they add fertiliser to it, or else it would be an ericaceus? (acid) compost wouldn't it! (excuse the spelling)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Back again...just realised that each type have an upside and down side.

The perpetual ones which I am growing can flower all year but are not frost hardy and have very little scent!

The border carnations are hardy, have a really nice scent but only flower in the summer!

Swings and roundabouts really!

I'll just have to grow both methinks!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X