Bluebells breaking through already??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluebells breaking through already??

As the title says, our Bluebells in the front garden (North facing area, shaded by a Buddlehia and lots of ferns) have started to break through, some of them are already 1 1/2" tall!!

I know we havent really had much of a winter, but is this normal or are they coming far too early!!! If it is too early, then is there anything we can do for them, to protect them or try to help them? Or are we going to loose them if there's a severe frost?

Any advice would be very welcome!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Mine are coming through too, as well as iris. I've only just planted crocus and daffs, actually I'm replanting them on a daily basis after the squuirrels keep digging them up!

Comment

Here in Suffolk my bluebells are about 2 inches high, too. They are hardy, so should be alright.

I've got primroses and polyanthus in flower in the garden, and the daffs are pushing up too.

Comment

No bluebells yet but I've got snowdrops out!
        Last edited by nick the grief; 31-12-2006, 07:28 PM.
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

I've got primroses and cowslips in flower. Could do with the grass picking up though.

I've got loads of bulbs that should have gone in but will now be very late.
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

I actually got my flower bulbs in this year instead of forgetting about them and leaving them in the garage to go rotten. Will have to have a quick snout around the garden to see if any are starting to poke their heads out.
            Kirsty b xx

Comment

Most, if not all Spring flowering bulbs are designed to survive frosts. They have natural anti-freeze in their cells which prevent them expanding and bursting when frozen. That is what happens to non-hardy plants when they freeze.
              What you may find is that some spring flowers are on shorter stems than usual as there seems to be some correlation between ultimate height and temperature (tulips especially), but how much cold they need I cannot remember and it is over 30 years since I read up on it!
              The only bulbs which may suffer are those from areas where frost is not experienced, such as some of the South African stuff. If they grow early and are hit by late frost then they will be damaged.

Comment

With that in mind Paulstris can I ask for your opinion on my Jersey Lillies.

cheers
                Bright Blessings
                Earthbabe

Comment

ive got loads of bulbs up over 4 or 5 inches in the garden and just started a thread coz ive got 2 daffs in flower all ready. also a primrose that was already here that has yellow flowers but not sure what that is. also broccoli which has been growing steadily since i planted it and has had broc on it for the last 2 months..very weird

Comment

I planted my English Bluebells, bought from a reputable supplier, last year but no sign yet - hopeful, as I only plent 10 bulbs.
                    Best wishes
                    Andrewo
                    Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Borage!!??

Yes I noticed yesterday that I still have a Borage plant in flower.
                      Bright Blessings
                      Earthbabe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X