Flower shows

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flower shows

Our allotment site is going to hold a Flower and veg show and wondered if anyone knew what classes of Flowers are needed for judging?
    also does anyone know if there are national rules for both flowers and veg or could we make our own classes and rules ourselves?
    Thanks
    Benacre
    http://lowestoftnaturalist-benacre.blogspot.com/

Nick is just the chap to advise you!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

You called
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

If they are introducing a flower show it's only fair that they should give you the plotholders a list of categories, I would have thought?
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi Colin,

If you look at our lottie website there's a link there to the local Flower & veg show near to me. The Veg classes are maybe a little on the High side of standards more akin to a national Vegetable society show - but it's organised by a Veg exhibitor.

The Flower section is a little biased as Chrysaths & Dahlia's are quite strong around here.

You may wish to add classes for Gladioli & Sweet peas if they are grown a lot in you area. Also somwhere I have some more info that maybe of interest to you I'll dig it out & PM you when I've found it.

If you need anymore info I'm wlling to help if I can.

As to judging. you can get an NVS jusdge for your veg easy enough ( they may want paying or not - it depends) & as to the flower section, we have used two judges 1 dahlia & 1 CHrysaths both qualified to judge in the own field & whilst they may not know the detail of the other they have a basic knowledge & will use that for all the classes.

I would advise against making it a NVS/NCS/NDS etc official show as such as it means you'll have to be affiliated to the relevant societies & @£20 ish a time that soon take up some money.
          ntg

Comment

This is the page you want

http://www.warkcom.net/live/cme2378.htm

The other info I had didn't really give any more info that you can get from the schedule.

Veg judges are listed here

http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/about_nvs/ve...ountry=England

for chrysanth or dahlia judges PM me & I'll see what I can find for you.
            Last edited by nick the grief; 27-12-2006, 10:26 PM.
            ntg

Comment

Things like best annuals in a vase, Perrennials in a vase etc. Simple projects all plot holders can do.
              Benacre
              http://lowestoftnaturalist-benacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

I intend growing a lot more flowers this year but would really struggle to grow them so that they are at there peak for a fixed date i.e. Show time. With annuals I suppose you would just have to sow a few each week but perennials would flower when they were ready I would think?

Chrysanths and dahlias can be made to flower for a certain time, though it would take me a few years of trial and error to figure that one out as well!
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  I intend growing a lot more flowers this year but would really struggle to grow them so that they are at there peak for a fixed date i.e. Show time. With annuals I suppose you would just have to sow a few each week but perennials would flower when they were ready I would think?

Chrysanths and dahlias can be made to flower for a certain time, though it would take me a few years of trial and error to figure that one out as well!
                  Chrysanths are easier than Dahlias Snadger. The Northern Group of the NCS produce a booklet of stopping dates for various varieties so if you get hold of one of them bobs your uncle & fanny's a rude word

Dahlias are a bit different but usually you would have 6 or more flowers on th plant at any one timeso if you grow enough of 1 variety you can select the ones you want - some of the guys who show at the national show in Shepton Mallet grow in the region of 1000 plants to make sure they have enough to chose from !!

If you grow Gladioli you plant a few each week to spread the flowering but annuals are just a mass of flowers most of the time. Fuschias dlower around 6 weeks after you stop them give or take and sweet peas ... well I won't mention them

They only ones I can't help you with are Roses, not sure how you would go on with them - I'll let you know after I've moved mine
                  ntg

Comment

Originally posted by Benacre View Post
                    Things like best annuals in a vase, Perrennials in a vase etc. Simple projects all plot holders can do.
                    Benacre
                    If you have a look in Garden News (*spits on floor*) they put in vouchers this time of year & you save up so many then send them off & they will send you some certificates for a "Top Tray" of veg & "Top Vase" of flowers I think they many include some publicity material as well.

Mancetter have clases for arrangements & containers that can be picked off the garden/plot but it's suprising how people get bitten by the bug when they see some of the flowers that are grown.
                    ntg

Comment

Hello ntg, I am a bit curious as to why you (*spits on floor*) when referring to Garden News?

Comment

I used to take GN regularly, but it then got to £1-50 a week and when I looked I think there was a total of 16 Pages of adverts. As I don't happen to be a pilot with a hernia I couldn't see the point or the connection with a lot of them to gardening.

Also at that time it went away from it's more traditional roots and became yet another vehicle for the instant makeover brigade. So I wrote to the then editor and said my peice and was basically told if you don't like it tough.

So I stopped buying it.
                        ntg

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                          I used to take GN regularly, but it then got to £1-50 a week and when I looked I think there was a total of 16 Pages of adverts. As I don't happen to be a pilot with a hernia I couldn't see the point or the connection with a lot of them to gardening.

Also at that time it went away from it's more traditional roots and became yet another vehicle for the instant makeover brigade. So I wrote to the then editor and said my peice and was basically told if you don't like it tough.

So I stopped buying it.
                          And here's me thinking you you were just frightened of LJ's (of Grow Your Own magazine!) pea stick!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X