Easy to grow summer plants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iggle',
    being pretty new to the flower lark,i started with calendula last year,both in full sun and dappled shade and they absolutely thrived.explosions of bright orange and have the added bonus of not being liked too much by slugs/snails or aphids.i've progressed to cosmos this year too but despite having limited success,the slugs and aphids do like these so have had to endure some losses/also grew two types of cornflower this year(blue and burgundy colours)
    Spiderpig

Comment

And Marigolds (I think the Mexican) has the added benefit of exuding a toxin that is harmful to bineweed, couch grass and ground elder

Comment

If it hasn't already been mentioned, then Nigella (love-in-a-mist) is another good one - dead easy from seed.

Comment

This year I have grown alyssum, aster and lobelia. The alyssum has been the best-I've ended up with hundreds! and the lobelia's are doing good too(growing very slow.) Only a few aster grew but they are very healthy plants.

Comment

Its shocking how many plants you forget about till someone says it! Gonna make a big list I think, then get a big plastic greenhouse for next year

Originally posted by Sweepster View Post
            If it hasn't already been mentioned, then Nigella (love-in-a-mist) is another good one - dead easy from seed.
            I tried these and didn't get one come up! I never have much luck with seeds, that you are meant to be able to just throw on the ground
            Last edited by IgglePiggle; 28-07-2009, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IgglePiggle View Post
              I never have much luck with seeds, that you are meant to be able to just throw on the ground
              me neither, they get too much competition from weeds (and slugs). I start them off in modules like Flummery does, and plant out when they're seedlings
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                me neither, they get too much competition from weeds (and slugs). I start them off in modules like Flummery does, and plant out when they're seedlings
                I did that this year, and finally got poppies! Going to leave them to go to seed, will see if nature can get them to grow next year

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X