No announcement yet.

some would call this a weed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love poppies and even plant them on purpose (in my garden though).
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Comment

Oh no they're not a weed in my books, I have some just popping out at the moment in my garden. I love them

Comment

What a philistine! Wish I had poppies as weeds.
        Actually I do get some pretty weeds and have to admit to not pulling everything up all the time as I like the look of them and the bees seem to like them too

Comment

I think they are beautiful, wouldn't pull them up as a weed. I have just sown some for next year
          http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Not all over the place but it would be nice to have a neat clump or 2 somewhere in the garden

Comment

In Afghanistan it is a valuable crop................

Comment

I think they are gorgeous, keep them!
                Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

We've got loads too!I never understand the people that moan & say they throw their seed everywhere...yes they do,but what a beautiful freebie flower to have interspersed around your veg!!!....and if you don't like them????Well what an easy weed to pull up!!
                  the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    My site rep would have me rip all these out. Would you?
                    Opium poppy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    Never Never Never My lottie & garden have lots of them a friend says my garden looks like plantation.
                    I collect the seeds & scatter them about (guerrilla gardening)
                    See my post(23) on Gurrilla Gardening thread.
                    I still have a jam jar of seeds from last year.
                    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                    Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by rana View Post
                      In Afghanistan it is a valuable crop................
                      The difficult bit, I understand, is changing it from poppy sap to opium, etc.

valmarg

Comment

My poppy seeds arrived a couple of weeks ago. I decided to buy lady bird and wild flanders... I got them in memory of my grandad and great uncle and I am very excited. I think that the flowers are so beautful and even the pods have their own beauty. When we were little it was our job to give them a little shake to try and empty the pods while they were still attched and see who could get the most seed. (The grown-up's way of controlling the spread.) I'm going to do mine in pots. I say keep them! They are so very pretty! Hx
                        "Hmm, that doesn't make much sense to me. But then, you are very small... I always liked going south. Somehow feels like going downhill."

Comment

Originally posted by valmarg View Post
                          The difficult bit, I understand, is changing it from poppy sap to opium, etc.

valmarg
                          The sap from the seed pods is opium.
                          To refine it to Codeine, Morphine or Heroin is not easy.
                          The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                          Brian Clough

Comment

And one of mine, growing in a hole in my compost bin/strawberry planter, which has a courgette stuck on the the top.
                            Once my beans are ready for transplanting I might pull it out and stick the frenchies in the holes!
                            Attached Files
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                              The sap from the seed pods is opium.
                              Homemade poppy tea? It's meant to taste nasty (bitter). The seeds also contain very tiny quantities of opium don't they?
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Some poppys I love these being one of them, I have just planted black poppies that lynda66 sent me, I have loads of the yellow and orange ones and am saving the seeds, I pull them up but they keep coming up year after year. My MIL has a blue one its gorgeous.
                                Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                                and ends with backache

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X