Tying in roses

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tying in roses

I think the previous owners REALLY liked roses. They're everywhere, as are the lavender bushes. Not a problem, except they've gone a bit crazy with the growth this year.

So, I have some climbers (I think) around the front of the house, and they have a small frame/trellis thing they're tied to, except it's too small now. I was thinking that I'd have to attach something to the brickwork to tie them to. I saw someone on Gardener's World (the show) put eyes in and tie the climbers to wires - would that be enough for the roses? One has just got so heavy that it's broken free of the ties and the branch has broken, so I'll have to lop it off I suppose.

It's easier around the back as I've stapled plastic mesh to the fence to tie the branches to.

Oh, and another rose question. I also have some bush ones around the front (which is literally just a 2-3 foot deep bed which runs along the whole front of the house!), but they are now growing out onto a public path. Can I stake them or somehow tie them to something? And what would that be?

Thanks!
    Singleton Allotments Society
    Ashford Gardeners - A gardening club (and so much more) for the greenfingered of Ashford and surrounding areas. Non-Ashfordites welcome .

I would use vine eyes into the wall, and then attach horizontal wires. Train the roses along as much as you can (rather than straight up), you get more flowers that way. It makes maintenance easier if you make sure the roses stay in front of the wires and don't sneak behind! You can use anything soft to tie them in - string or Softie if you have it. Wire is likely to bite into the stems.

Not much you can do about those going on to the path, I would hold them back with something like Y stakes, but it depends on how big they are likely to get.

Whatever you do, I'm envious of all these roses....must plant some more!
    Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Ah, looks like I'm going to have to do some more shopping! I'll be needing a step ladder to reach those upper branches of the roses! And a drill bit for brickwork.

Vine eyes, yep, those are the things I meant..couldn't remember the proper terminology.

I do love the roses, but honestly, we have SO many! I've had to staple gun the mesh all along one whole fence. We must have 20-30 rose bushes! Free flowers this year though! I missed most of them last year.

You're in Kent too!

ETA: thanks for the tips!
      Last edited by Sonata; 28-04-2009, 08:40 AM.
      Singleton Allotments Society
      Ashford Gardeners - A gardening club (and so much more) for the greenfingered of Ashford and surrounding areas. Non-Ashfordites welcome .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X