Lily Beetles

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lily Beetles

The recent odd sunny day has brought out the lily beetle. I've found them on fritillaries and on the new lily shoots. Got about 6 of the little blighters. Keep an eye out for them now and dispatch them and you won't have such a problem later - plus your plants can make decent growth ready for flowering.

Yes, they had a good munch at my lillies last year. As I don't like squishing them between my fingers, I have a container with soapy water in and scoop them up and drop them in. They're very quick tho aren't they? A couple of times I tried to get one and it quickly went into the foliage and down into the soil before I had time to catch it!
    AKA Angie

Comment

I have been watching my lilly's as I found one or two last year, something is chewing mine and I cant find anything on them grr.
      Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
      and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
        Yes, they had a good munch at my lillies last year. As I don't like squishing them between my fingers, I have a container with soapy water in and scoop them up and drop them in. They're very quick tho aren't they? A couple of times I tried to get one and it quickly went into the foliage and down into the soil before I had time to catch it!
        I was reading about Red lily beetles, they are quite cunning, when distrurbed they send out a pheromone that sends a warning to other RLB, they also try to fall on their back and then quickly burrow to escape, little buggers

Comment

Put a sheet of something (newspaper?) under your lilies before you commence beetle attack.

They will then fall on the paper rather than into the soil
          Crush them under your boot, it's quicker than drowning.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            Put a sheet of something (newspaper?) under your lilies before you commence beetle attack.

They will then fall on the paper rather than into the soil
            Crush them under your boot, it's quicker than drowning.

Great idea, thanks TS, will give that a go next time I go hunting!
            AKA Angie

Comment

Apparently when they get 'attacked' they flip themselves onto their backs so you can't see their red shell and instead they resemble soil...and very good at being tricksy they are too! Don't catch them at your peril as they do seem to be able to devour a lily in no time at all
              Last edited by RobintheBobin; 27-04-2009, 08:25 PM.
              RtB x

Comment

Horrible, horrible things. Everyone get out now and check, they're up and about early this year after the mild winter
                I squished my first one of the year yesterday, while stripping back the bamboo foliage
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

They've been out and about in the garden throughout this winter on sunny days. I love to catch the little blighters and "recycle" them between my fingers. I successfully managed to keep my lilies mostly unchomped this year. It helps to check under the leaves too and wipe off any eggs.

Comment

goodness me,they out and about before the lillies are still underground,thanks for the heads up,will keep the eyes open for a squish
                    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X