Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by basketcase View Post
    Silly question...

Ar they poisonous? The reason that I ask is that, if they are, I won't mix them with anything edible!
    they are if you eat them.
    But you won't eat the flowers anyway, and you won't get any seed pods if you keep cutting the flowers.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      Sweet peas are hardy.
      So long as you have hardened them off properly, they should be fine.
      Ok thanks. I should put them outside during the day and bring them back in the GH at night for about a week?

Comment

I sowed mine outside by the back wall about a month ago, they are just showing through and they got through the cold snap very nicely, so no need to harden them off this time. They are in toilet tubes, ready to take to the lottie.
        "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Mine are in root trainers at the moment, a few inches high and pinched out, looking good. Some will go up the lottie and some stay at home but not for a few weeks yet as the beds aren't ready and they're not hardened off either. Always sow mine inside as I never have much luck with direct sowing, think the slugs get them before I've even noticed they come through.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Planted out some more today, Air warden, White Ensign, Beaujolais and Mrs Bolton. I have put them seperately but in a line along the fence, still have more to go in at a later date.
            Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
            and ends with backache

Comment

I sowed mine in jiffy 7s this week so hopefully shouldn't have a problem with them germinating.
              Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

Comment

Originally posted by jackie j View Post
                Planted out some more today, Air warden, White Ensign, Beaujolais and Mrs Bolton. I have put them seperately but in a line along the fence, still have more to go in at a later date.
                I had a stack of Beaujolais from M&S as they had been packaged as Sweat Peas - I think the daughter got them for 10p a pack in staff waste.
                Last edited by Fat Bob; 04-04-2009, 09:14 PM.
                Gentlemen! - you can't fight in here...this is the War Room!

Comment

I was thinking of growing mine over a large hebe bush, rather than up stakes. Is this possible or am I being nuts?
                  WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I bought some day and night sweet peas that auntie jackie j showed me call day and night, they llok amazing. I sowed them weds in mums GH when should i expect them to come through and also, they always seem to die out. seen the pinching out advice so will follow that. wonder if I am getting the watweing advice wrong, how much do they need?

Comment

Originally posted by msflocks View Post
                      I bought some day and night sweet peas that auntie jackie j showed me call day and night, they llok amazing. I sowed them weds in mums GH when should i expect them to come through and also, they always seem to die out. seen the pinching out advice so will follow that. wonder if I am getting the watweing advice wrong, how much do they need?
                      I got mine from Selfraising so haven't grown them from seed. You might find some help here The National Sweet Pea Society
                      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by msflocks View Post
                        Hi Zoe they dont take very long to geminate especially in the green house, mine were in the back bedroom and only took a few days. They dont need too much water, make sure the soil is damp when you sow them and then only if they dry out ( dont let them do that ) I use a spray bottle to water my seeds especially if the tray has holes in the bottom, if not pour a little water into the tray rather than on the seeds. Mine are up already and have been pinched out got to plant them out soon.
                        Good luck
                        Auntie Jackie.
                        Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                        and ends with backache

Comment

Mine are looking very poorly at the min-not sure why. Still on windowsill-maybe too hot for them? Any ideas???
                          Act - Sing - Perform!
                          Theatre Cats

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            they are if you eat them.
                            But you won't eat the flowers anyway, and you won't get any seed pods if you keep cutting the flowers.

Thanks 2sheds!

Sorry not to get back earlier, but I hadn't marked the message and couldn't find it again!

Was going to grow them with my beans, so didn't want to be confused. Doesn't take much! Never thought that if I cut the flowers I wouldn't have trouble recognising which were beans! Oh dear...
                            Last edited by basketcase; 06-04-2009, 12:13 PM. Reason: Can't type!

Comment

Even if some do go to seed,you'll easily be able to tell which are the beans...the sweet peas have a really small pod in comparison to beans!
                              the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X