No announcement yet.

I am making a cottage garden

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hadn't thought of a colour theme, you have got me thinking now! Perhaps I will go for a higgledy piggledy splash of this and that!

Comment

Don't forget California Poppy and Cosmos. These are long lasting and give a good splash of colour.
      I would put the Cosmos at the back of the border as they grow very tall.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hi, I have just found a packet of seeds my daughter got from hampton court last year, and they are Hardy's Cottage Garden Plants their website address is Hardy's - Cottage Garden Plants - Home this might help you with your search..

Comment

Thankyou, I am currently researching the best climbing rose for my arch and have been looking at David Austen Roses - stunning.

Comment

I have been informed that Rambling Roses are better than Climbing Roses ... they're easier to control and have more flowers.

Though I will stand to be corrected
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My mum says ramblers are sturdier but don't repeat flower, so she said grow bobby James on one side of rose arch then a repeat flowering climber on the other so they weave in together and you get flowers as well as foliage. Her garden is amazing - half an acre on the fell side in the lake District with views to die for. I keep telling her she needs to open it to the public.

Comment

Most things in cottage gardens are easy to propagate thats why they get around someone comes round and says "OO I like that" and they are given seeds or cuttings. Also things that didn't like getting moved (Peonies for example) and thats why they aren't found in the Big house gardens so much as they changed their gardens with the new fashion.

I don't think you can plan a cottage garden other than the hard landscaping (paths etc) as most folks get a plant and then put them where ever thay have a space

Get a copy of Geoff Hamiltons Cottage garden series on DVD and/or the book it gives you a list of plants and some suppliers and loads of ideas
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X