Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew scabious and they were still flowering in November

Comment

Would'nt grow poppies as you will never get them out of your garden again. they will seed themselves over and over again and you will have them forever.
      Cosmos, Rudbecia, Dahlia and Sweet William are just some of the easier flowers to grow for cutting.
      Look through any of the flower catalogues and its really a case of "take your pick" from any of the taller annual flowers.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Cosmos, cornflowers (I grow the red and the black), calendula, rudbeckia (both annual and perennial types), sunflowers (there are some lovely shorter ones in rusty colours if you don't want giants), california poppies (escscholzia) in all sorts of colours, love-in-a-mist (nigella). Dahlias are brilliant too, lasting until the frosts.

Oh yes, love-lies-bleeding too - in both red and green.
        Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

hi,
          I have planted some Rudbeckia cherokee seeds. The instructions on the seed packet states that they will germniate if temp is around 20 degree and they should be in a lit area as light helps in germination. In the past for such temp I have used my airing cupbaord, but its dark in there and outside in my rooms maybe its not 20 degree. Any tips from those of you who have sucessfully germinated the seeds will be helpful
          cheers Reks

Comment

Poppies are gorgeous. We have red, yellow and mixed self seeding everywhere. If you don't want them treat as a weed. Easy.

Pansies? easy. No work.

Dalias? Grow like mad but need warmth.

Candytuft: sow and forget.

With a LOT of garden to fill, I am grateful for easy growing things.. and self seeding makes a more natural appearance...

Comment

Originally posted by Reks View Post
              hi,
              I have planted some Rudbeckia cherokee seeds. The instructions on the seed packet states that they will germniate if temp is around 20 degree and they should be in a lit area as light helps in germination. In the past for such temp I have used my airing cupbaord, but its dark in there and outside in my rooms maybe its not 20 degree. Any tips from those of you who have sucessfully germinated the seeds will be helpful
              I've grown R. maxima from seed. Near as darn it 100% germination by putting the seed on JI seed compost and then covering with a layer of vermiculite which transmits light better than compost . The propagator is in a darkish area so I put these on a west facing window ledge over a radiator. Bingo. Standing on a heat mat for bottom heat would also work I think.
              Last edited by sarraceniac; 07-05-2009, 10:15 AM.
              Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
              >
              >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Sarah Raven is the daddy for cut flower gardening...
                She really is - I'd recommend her book on cut flowers as she rocks when it comes to thinking about colours, textures and contrast.

I'd recommend:

Amaranthus - easy and then self sows forever
                Cosmos - easy peasy; I'm growing Purity and Dazzler this year
                Zinnia - easy peasy
                Poppies - Iceland and Peony varieties
                Dill - lovely frothy flowers
                Sweet Peas - surely the best cut flower ever?
                Bells of Ireland and Euphorbia for that green colour contrast
                Nasturtiums - vibrant and also great as companion plant
                Cornflowers - love the black ones
                Scabious - easy peasy

I could go on and on but defo look for Sarah Raven's book and you'll be cooking on gas when it comes to gorgeous cut flowers.

PS. I don't have much space but just shove them in where I can.

RtB
                x
                RtB x

Comment

All of the above, Cosmos is a really easy one though and just goes on producing

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
                    I just received some Rudbeckia maxima seed from a friend in North Carolina. There are too many for me so if you would like a few then PM me your address. You won't need many. They are quite large to be planted 2 feet apart and can get to 4 feet high but are a gorgeous yellow. Maybe too large for you?
                    Hi just pmed you, I was after some Rudbeckia as the ones I sowed hve refused to germintae. Not sure if you still have any left.
                    cheers Reks

Comment

Originally posted by Reks View Post
                      Hi just pmed you, I was after some Rudbeckia as the ones I sowed hve refused to germintae. Not sure if you still have any left.

Just to let everyone know. Reks just got the last of my rudie seeds.
                      Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                      >
                      >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X