Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climbers or shrubs for fence

Evening all,

I moved over to the dark side literally - I've gone from being a 20 year veggie gardener back to a shrub/herbaceous gardener having to now deal with a very shady border and need some advice :-)

Should I plant climbers or tall shrubs along/against a new wooden fence (8 panels) (actually neighbour's new fence but we both went halves and they're happy for us to do whatever we want with it)?

A new border is currently being dug out in front of the fence but I just can't make up my mind - I've considered various climbers but then thought I could use talls shrubs to hide the fence and provide a background for other plants.

Border gets the sun first thing in the morning and then gradually works around to the front of the house so mid morning the border is basically in deep shade for the rest of the day. On the plus side, it's great soil, very friable, fab to work with, and as the garden slopes down from left to right, it does tend to remain moist but it's never sodden.

So.. question 1: climbers or tall shrubs; question 2: if shrubs, suggestions please?

Many thanks

We had a climbing hydrangea (sp) it needed support and took some time to flower but it was good. Also provided 'cover' for birdies when mature.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

smallblueplanet - I did consider a climbing hydrangea but then also considered that it might be too heavy for a 5ft fence...?

Comment

I have a North facing fence and had a narrow bed . It gets morning sun , I have a small pond there, sambucus nigra I've let go to 5/6ft. Ferns, I have a white rose called starlight symphony on it, a pyracantha (prickly though) but stays green.
        I've since extended the bed to have spring hellebores alliums primroses etc and geraniums with various others in summer
        foxgloves, geraniums. I put cosmos and rudbeckia annuals in too.

​How about clematis nelly moser , weigelia , buddleia jf it gets some Sun, or hebe , ferns, foxgloves.
        Northern England.

Comment

What about a variagated euonymus? it will grow up close to the fence without needing it for support, is very low maintenance (a handy trait at the back of a border) and being variagated will stop the back of the border looking too dark. I have one that I'm encouraging to hide a north facing brick wall, it only gets direct sunlight in the middle of summer for a couple of hours in the morning, the rest of the year it is in shade. It's a bit slow growing at first, but once established it grows well.
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Effy66 View Post
            smallblueplanet - I did consider a climbing hydrangea but then also considered that it might be too heavy for a 5ft fence...?
            It was quite top heavy when it got going on a 6ft fence. But it was very slow growing too so no instant cover. It was easy to chop some off but I think it flowered on previous years growth. It was very lovely though.
            Last edited by smallblueplanet; 05-03-2024, 08:48 AM.
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

mothhawk - sadly that was the 5ft hedge that we got rid of.. neighbours are not gardeners and didn't want to have to prune it into shape each year - it was a shame as it was a lovely yellow euonymous and really brightened up the garden.

Comment

Both winter flowerers but maybe good for a backdrop to the spring/summer suggestions provided:

I've got a Xmas Box / Sarcococca which is happy in shade. There are quite a few different varieties so you could match up to your height needs. They're low maintenance & although it's not a 'show stopper' it smells absolutely beautiful when it flowers & it then sets berries for the birds.

I've also got a Winter Jasmine in shade that's thriving on neglect.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X