2 Dying Succulents

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Dying Succulents

Well, this succulent grows in the garden fine in gravel containers. I do the same in a small pot for the house indoors and treat it the same. Not letting it dry out and yet this keeps happening. Absolutely no reason this should happen

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230630_103538_edit_20254697601075.jpg Views:	0 Size:	516.7 KB ID:	2564693
    Last edited by Marb67; 30-06-2023, 03:59 PM.

"Not letting it dry out" is you answer.
    It's almost impossible to kill a succulent by lack of water. I water most of mine maybe 6 times a year, and I've had cuttings and bits that have fallen off the parent plant (including one of the same species as you have there) survive for months without any soil at all. Even if they don't thrive, they will almost never actually die.
    Killing a succulent through over-watering, however, is very easy. They rot in no time, even when you think you're not giving them too much. Having the pot in a large outer pot like you have there is a bad idea, too, because it's hard to see the water level and thus very easy to over water (there should be no standing water at any time).
    Last edited by ameno; 01-07-2023, 01:53 AM.

Comment

I learned the hard way with my potted house leeks.
      They were fine in gravelly pots on the south facing windowsills where they would dry out , but rotted on the north facing ones (. Same amount of water)
      I clearly overwatered the north facing ones. Yours looks very similar
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

They get plenty of water (rain) in the garden and don't rot. I can tell you I have not been overwatering them.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
          They get plenty of water (rain) in the garden and don't rot. I can tell you I have not been overwatering them.
          You have. Your plant is rotting, and that's a very obvious symptom of too much water.
          The ones in the garden will drain properly, but your one is in a pot with no holes in. It will have been sitting in water periodically. Even if you check and tip out the excess from time to time, any time at all spent sitting in water is too much for a succulent.

They do not need much water, and as I said above it's far, far better to err on the side of caution and not give it much at all, as it's almost impossible to kill a succulent through lack of water, so you really can't go wrong that way. But it's very easy to kill them by over-watering.
          Last edited by ameno; 01-07-2023, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Ok, fair enough but I will use the same pot because I like it. Just no water, just mist.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
              "Not letting it dry out" is you answer.
              It's almost impossible to kill a succulent by lack of water. I water most of mine maybe 6 times a year, and I've had cuttings and bits that have fallen off the parent plant (including one of the same species as you have there) survive for months without any soil at all. Even if they don't thrive, they will almost never actually die.
              Killing a succulent through over-watering, however, is very easy. They rot in no time, even when you think you're not giving them too much. Having the pot in a large outer pot like you have there is a bad idea, too, because it's hard to see the water level and thus very easy to over water (there should be no standing water at any time).
              OK, So I have another one and it has NOT been watered. It has started to go downhill, so before you suggest I am watering (by the moisture on the photo) I have just taken the pot out into the rain without its ceramic pot to freshen it up

Comment

Are you sure that one is going downhill? It looks okay to me, apart from a couple of old leaves dying off, and that's fairly natural (the leaves don't last forever).
                And of course it is still possible to underwater them, too, especially ones which are small and with relatively thin leaves like these ones. Underwatering is very unlikely to kill them (unless you go a ridiculously long tiime without watering them), but that doesn't mean they won't still suffer to an extent.

Comment

Nope, it's def going the same way. Even after taking advice here.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230820_110652_edit_539858749859810.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	597.8 KB
ID:	2567346

Comment

Could be vine weevil.
                    Take them out of the pot and check the roots.
                    I'd put each one in a 2.5 inch pot and only pot on if they do a lazarus
                    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Can't be vine weevil as the grubs are only around in early Spring.

Comment

This year has been a vine weevil year. I found them in late July this year taking the roots off seedlings. I had to spray the soil with ant killer down both sides of the rows at close range.
                        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Can't be vine weevil as the grubs are only around in early Spring.
                          Who told you that? They are around any time of year that it's warm enough. They can have several generations of larvae in a single year.

Comment

Even so it ain't vine weevil as I potted the compost myself and it's been in the house ever since.

Comment

Even so it ain't vine weevil as I potted the compost myself and it's been in the house ever since.
                              Sorry to say but they get everywhere. I've found them indoors. Possibly brought in on clothing. For non-flyers they really get about!
                              Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X