No announcement yet.

Non flowering Daffodils

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes it's the same pot and soil but I think I did feed it bfb. I always read that you are not supposed to cut back daffodils but let them die back naturally. So I guess it's too late to get anything from it this year flower wise even if I plant in new Compost on a deeper pot?

Comment

Miniature daffs might be alright in that size pot,I saw some in the garden centre the other day,they like tiny pots.

Comment

Hi Marb67,

Not this year but with a bit of TLC (new pot, new compost, replanted nice & deep, using the tom. feed & allowing the natural leaf die-back) you should have flowers next year

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
          Miniature daffs might be alright in that size pot,I saw some in the garden centre the other day,they like tiny pots.
          The flower buds will have already been formed before the bulbs were potted up. They were probably grown in more favourable conditions.
          A lot of people just bin them after flowering. I have rescued discarded orchids, so what price a few daffs?!
          Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I've got a number of blind daffodils this year from the ones I put in last year. The plan is to mark them with plant labels, then replant them deeper after they've died down.
            Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

I have bought more miniature daffs (as these in the op are) in an even smaller pot and they are flowering nicely so pot size and depth I am not sure are the problem. Perhaps the feed ing is the issue ?

Comment

I have had a really close look at your first post piccie . There are a lot of outer leaves cut right back….can I ask why you did that?

If it’s to keep them tidy, did you cut back a lot the previous year? That would very much impact on any production of food ability the plant can manage
                Last edited by Nicos; 22-02-2024, 01:07 PM.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                  I have bought more miniature daffs (as these in the op are) in an even smaller pot and they are flowering nicely so pot size and depth I am not sure are the problem. Perhaps the feed ing is the issue ?
                  They might not flower next year tho,depending on their care,left in the same pot all year…. I always plant bulbs in the soil after being in a small pot,they don’t need any care & they always flower the following year,without any feed,I’ve never fed any bulbs,the leaves feed the bulb. Leave them in the pots they’ll suffer like you’ve seen.
                  edit - the leaves look very long to be from a miniature daff?
                  Last edited by Jungle Jane; 22-02-2024, 09:45 PM.

Comment

I would wait then plant them in the ground later in the year.
                    Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                      I have had a really close look at your first post piccie . There are a lot of outer leaves cut right back….can I ask why you did that?

If it’s to keep them tidy, did you cut back a lot the previous year? That would very much impact on any production of food ability the plant can manage
                      I think you are mistaken as there are no leaves cut back at all. As you can see all the leaves are tapered to a point.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post

I think you are mistaken as there are no leaves cut back at all. As you can see all the leaves are tapered to a point.
                        These leaves look a bit cut tho,I’ve circled where it looks like leaves removed,how could that've happened? -

Click image for larger version

Name:	C01C2CE4-E5A8-43FF-A984-7BE4AB4C9B71.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	790.9 KB
ID:	2575702

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post

These leaves look a bit cut tho,I’ve circled where it looks like leaves removed,how could that've happened? -

Click image for larger version

Name:	C01C2CE4-E5A8-43FF-A984-7BE4AB4C9B71.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	790.9 KB
ID:	2575702
                          I genuinely didn't notice that so yes I must have cut them back so apologies for that. I thought you meant the current leaves had been snipped. I honestly don't remember doing it but must have.

Comment

Could anyone else in your household be ‘tidying up’ yellowing leaves like that? Just a thought….

Comment

I have a couple of hyacinths that have been overwintered in the ground.
                              Something unknown cuts the ends of the leaves before the flowers appear.
                              They have been moved this year so there is not a lot to compare. They are beginning to form clumps.
                              Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                                I have a couple of hyacinths that have been overwintered in the ground.
                                Something unknown cuts the ends of the leaves before the flowers appear.
                                They have been moved this year so there is not a lot to compare. They are beginning to form clumps.
                                We have a hare which nibbles off the top of some of our bulbs. Not daffs though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X