Snake Plant Going downhill

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake Plant Going downhill

My Mother In Law Tongue is suddenly going yellow at the base of the stems and flopping over. I am NOT overwatering, just now and again as the soil is dry and kept in bathroom window which is North facing so no direct sunlight.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Marb67; 01-04-2023, 10:16 AM.

It's probably cold, Marb. Sansevierias are desert plants, so while they will tolerate some cold, they really like to be hot, and they enjoy bright light, one of the few houseplants that do.

Take some leaf cuttings while the leaves are still good enough. here's how - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0URMDc91ws
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

I had it in a sunny window last year but it didn't like it. Moved it to the bathroom window as the advice online stated it likes shade and partial light. The one downstairs is in a very gloomy room which is also North facing and is very healthy.
      Last edited by Marb67; 01-04-2023, 08:44 AM.

Comment

That's amazing. i can't find anywhere online where it says sanseviearias like shade. it is a desert plant after all.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
          That's amazing. i can't find anywhere online where it says sanseviearias like shade. it is a desert plant after all.
          Partial shade to some sun to be precise but again, the one in the North facing room has been in shade a few winters and is very healthy.

Well I can tell you my other plant downstairs went pale and sickly in a sunny South facing front window hence why I took it upstairs. I think I can rescue the bathroom plant as some of the leaves are still rigid. I only paid a pound for it initially as it was a front garden plant sale. It eventually became too big and I split it and made 2 plants out of it.
          Last edited by Marb67; 01-04-2023, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
            It's probably cold, Marb. Sansevierias are desert plants, so while they will tolerate some cold, they really like to be hot, and they enjoy bright light, one of the few houseplants that do.

Take some leaf cuttings while the leaves are still good enough. here's how - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0URMDc91ws
            Thanks for that
            Last edited by Marb67; 01-04-2023, 10:17 AM.

Comment

You say you're only watering it now and again, but how often is that?
              In the winter, Sansevieria need watering maybe every 6 weeks at most, possibly less, and only a tiny bit of water each time.
              With tough succulents, you're always better erring on the side of not watering them. They may not grow much with less than ideal amounts of water, but they will always at least survive. My cacti and jade plants are watered only five or six times a year at most.

Comment

Well, another one going downhill. Not watering as instructed above

Comment

I thought sansevierias were bombproof. These have been growing in perlite in an old mustard jar for years. I just keep topping up the water every week or two. I have others growing in perlite.
                  I also stuck a surplus one in water and it seems happy. Roots dry out sometimes but it's not died yet!
                  Maybe take yours out of compost, let it dry off and try it in a very gritty compost or even 100% grit.
                  Annoyingly cuttings from variegated plants always come up green! Click image for larger version

Name:	F88EA497-1224-40AB-99C9-9765F1C5CAFB_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	2575937
                  Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

The first two in perlite for years. Last in water for a few months Click image for larger version

Name:	A671582E-3618-484B-9884-1B3DCC3A0F13.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	908.9 KB
ID:	2575939 Click image for larger version

Name:	4F41072D-4A9C-4969-B642-212030241043.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	862.9 KB
ID:	2575940 Click image for larger version

Name:	061EF3E9-8E21-40D4-B4AE-1597BB588CB4.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	691.9 KB
ID:	2575941
                    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

They don't look the same variety as mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                        They don't look the same variety as mine.
                        That sort are all treated the same. Looks like yours is too deep in pot
                        Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

If I don't plant them deep enough they will fall over as my large one started to do before I put more soil in.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	B008AAD2-0416-4FCC-A0B3-C2B5CF55638A.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	882.9 KB
ID:	2576142 Click image for larger version

Name:	3A41A2F3-BFAA-4077-8BF8-63900057D5BB_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	2576143 Use some sticks to support them until they have sufficient roots to support them.
                            Burying them will kill them as crown should be on top of soil.
                            Once established the roots will easily support leaves up to about three feet high.
                            Mine just starting to flower.
                            The one with lots of flowers was in the Copenhagen Botanic Garden. Not been able to get one this good yet!
                            Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Is yours dead yet?
                              Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X