Wildflowers on North facing grass bank

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wildflowers on North facing grass bank

A friend who has a grassy bank outside her home (presently long grass and dandelions etc) which is North facing and sheltered from trees and in a bit of a dip, has asked me the best way to sow new plants or wildflowers. Obviously the dandelions thrive on the moist slope, so can anyone give any advice on how to colonise more flowers, preferably wild when I have strimmed it all back for her. I will use the grass and weed tops as mulch for my soil for organic compost when the worms pull it down. It is Council owned but they have stopped cutting it for her. I do have some wildflower bee friendly seeds I could sprinkle on the grass when cut but I imagine they wouldn't do very well in competition with the weeds ? There are daffodil bulbs in there but the squirrels have since removed them.

If anyone has any experience with this type of thing perhaps they can advise me on the best way to go about this. Thanks.

Here is a Google maps shot of the area.
    Last edited by Marb67; 06-05-2022, 04:37 PM.

My first thoughts are snowdrops and ‘wild’ daffodils? Although I suspect squirrels might thank her for the Spring buffet!
    Followed by cowslips and different coloured foxgloves?

Those are flowers we see in our hedgerows - the south facing side flowering first followed a few weeks later by the north facing side.
    Also oxeye daisies for early summer flowers.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Daffodils are a good idea,you can get some that flower earlier than others to have flowering for longer & they’re poisonous so wouldn’t be eaten by wildlife & they’re not invasive to neighbouring gardens,some wildflowers are. I let yarrow grow out the front in the lawn but when it dies back I need to pull it out so it doesn’t seed into the footpath & neighbours lawn across the road. I weed out the dandelions because I’m sure my neighbours would hate me letting them go to seed. Red creeping thyme looks good as a ground cover,spreads by its roots. We’ve got a bee bomb with teasel in it but would that be good in the garden or invasive? Forget me not,cornflower,ox eye daisy & borage seeds seem less invasive but I haven’t done a scientific test

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X