Sweet peas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet peas

What does everyone use to support their sweet peas? I generally use canes stuck through rigid square plastic netting, but it's getting the worse for wear now and I need to replace it. I'm wondering if there is something better or less plastic based. I could just use canes, but then I'd have to keep tying the stems in.
    Ideas please. And photos would be good too.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

I used a tripod wrapping it with string, at the end of the season the string and plants all go in a compost bin.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I splashed out last year and bought two steel obelisks from a company called metal in bloom. They look great in the garden even when there is nothing on them so left them in the ground all winter. Click image for larger version

Name:	5D45BA50-2B7F-4B0A-BB7D-28F5905D43E6.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2544517

Comment

Those tripods are lovely, Annie, and your garden looks so organised and neat, not at all like my scruffy patch!
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Thanks. It’s the neatest part of the garden and helped at moment by the fact that I just put a bulk bag of compost on it - covers the weeds. It’s taken 5 years to take it from a space with awful brick hard soil that hadn’t been looked after for years and was fully of old woody shrubs. The back garden where I grow my fruit and veg is much more of a working area, so lot messier believe me.

Comment

No photos but I usually make a 5 sided tripod () out of hazel branches.
            Annie - wow….* quickly tries to stop looking embarrassed at the state of own garden
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I grow my sweet peas up a fence made of green wire.
              I also use bamboo canes made like a wigwams that I use in 2 half barrels.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I make wigwams out of bamboo canes too and wrap with garden twine. I also usually grow some up the side of a metal shed that I have fastened wooden batons to in the past. I have also tried to grow them up and over an ornamental arch in the past but for some unknown reason they never wanted to grow there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  No photos but I usually make a 5 sided tripod () out of hazel branches.
                  Annie - wow….* quickly tries to stop looking embarrassed at the state of own garden
                  That’s kind. I appreciate comments much more from you guys as you are such experienced growers. As I say front is much tidier than the back growing area. Anyway tidy gardens aren’t the best for wildlife you need a bit of messy for them.

Comment

Talking of sweet peas, am struggling to get him to grow well this year. After all my autumn seedlings got eaten by mice, the resowed ones had patchy germination and since then have been suffering from die off. Not all at once, maybe every couple of weeks another one goes. Gave up yesterday and just planted out the 6 decent ones I had left. Bit early for here but think they might be happier outside.

Comment

I sowed mine in autumn for the first time. They grew like mad, I potted them into long toms, roots still coming out the base. I thought they just had to go out, so foolishly planted them out at the end of March. Now looking awful, half dead with the cold, I'm planning to buy some replacements. I'll just stick to January sowing in future.

Although I did plant up a big pot for the greenhouse and they are flowering now, which is lovely, so I'll do that again.
                      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
                        I sowed mine in autumn for the first time. They grew like mad, I potted them into long toms, roots still coming out the base. I thought they just had to go out, so foolishly planted them out at the end of March. Now looking awful, half dead with the cold, I'm planning to buy some replacements. I'll just stick to January sowing in future.

Although I did plant up a big pot for the greenhouse and they are flowering now, which is lovely, so I'll do that again.
                        Babru, don't give in yet. I did the same one year and mine looked nearly dead but then a spell of good weather revived them amazingly.

Comment

I stopped doing autumn sowing of sweetpeas as they ended up in a tangle before the weather was warm enough to plant them out.
                          This year I sowed them in early February.
                          Planted them out two weeks ago and while they looked a bit miserable the first few days they are growing fine now.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Planted out my sweet peas today. I've re-purposed some coated square wire netting from the other side of the garden where it was doing nothing behind the hedge, and put it against the fence for the SPs to grow up. I couldn't justify to myself spending £19 on some new green plastic netting, and actually I think this will work much better.
                            Endless wonder.

Comment

Have planted out the sweet peas I had been growing for a few months and seem to be doing ok. Because of issue I have been having with my sweet peas this year I sowed a few late back up ones. They have come through but are quite odd looking . Any thoughts? Do I just pipunch them out and hope they bulk up?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X