Primrose not growing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primrose not growing

Well, for the life of me I don't know what it is when I buy a new plant but it just either stops growing or dies. I bought this 3 weeks ago from a garden centre in the exact same state it is in now and it hasn’t grown a single mm, and non of the flower heads have opened that have been there for 3 weeks. I am absolutely at a loss as to what has gone wrong here.
    Attached Files

One of the flower heads is dead & where have the leaves gone,doesn’t look like enough leaf for flowers. It’s a small pot,if planted in the ground maybe it might grow some more leaves.

Comment

The leaves were wilting when I bought it so I cut them off (watering didn't revive them) as I didnt want them taking energy away from the plant. It was on offer for 50p so I took a gamble on being able to nurture it. I should have known better.

Comment

Just get it into the ground and it will start to grow when the weather gets better.
        The compost in that pot is most likely a bit clapped out.
        It will most likely leaf up this year and grow much better next year.
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Sounds like it was reduced to clear because it was half-dead.
          If you want it to survive into the future them your best bet is to remove all of the flowers. That will allow the plant to put its energy into grow new roots and leaves to replace the lost ones.
          If you want a good display now and are not bothered about long term then I'd just recommend throwing it away and replacing it. It won't give you a good display any time soon.

Comment

Ok, thanks. I will plant it in the ground and hope the cats don’t dig it up as its so small. Just that it had promise because all the flower heads looked healthy when I bought it.

Comment

It will have been grown in temperature- humidity- light intensity and period-controlled highly optimised conditions. Big shock to be then outside in the garden
              ​​​​​
              The problem with garden centres is they have to offer plants in flower, else folks won't buy them​​​, and that is almost the worst time to move them, especially given the first paragraph above.

Primroses are a weed here...
              I could post you few in a bubble bag with some damp newspaper if you like.
              Last edited by quanglewangle; 09-04-2022, 10:43 AM. Reason: Added offer to post
              I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

I’d leave one flower on there,it has a bit of leaf,hopefully the cats leave it alone,good luck with it Marb.

Comment

Thanks for the offer of more plants but I have planted it in the soil with a cloche. It was outdoors when I bought it so not too,much of a shock.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X