Love-in-a-Puff

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love-in-a-Puff

Has anyone grown cardiospermum halicacabum? I came across it today and the common name intrigued me. It's a climber and looks quite pretty, but it's tropical, so not at all hardy here I think. Before I splash out on some seeds, does anyone know if it will grow and flower in the UK? No point growing it if it doesn't have time to get to the seeding stage as that is the showy bit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	love-in-a-puff.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	2543475
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Cape gooseberries look like that near the end of the season and have edible fruit as a bonus.
    The rootstocks are tricky to overwinter but give you an early start.
    The seeds from store bought fruits do sprout.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I grew a cape gooseberry in the greenhouse, after reading about them on here. I think our season is too short (in Edinburgh), and they didn't produce much, or make it through the winter.
      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
        I grew a cape gooseberry in the greenhouse, after reading about them on here. I think our season is too short (in Edinburgh), and they didn't produce much, or make it through the winter.
        Exactly the same here in Yorkshire.

Comment

Cape gooseberry isn't a climber though. Love-in-a-puff is a climber which is why I'm interested in it. Plus. cape gooseberry can be skin toxic to some people and I'm not happy to take the risk.
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X