Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting off dahlias

Morning!

My order of dahlia tubers has just arrived and where I'd normally start them off in pots in our kitchen, I now have access to an unheated greenhouse. Would they be OK in there instead? Just trying to avoid the inevitable plant-splosion on our kitchen floor.....
    Ta!
    If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

That's where mine are !
    I potted them up into dry compost and have them in my unheated greenhouse, when they start to show signs of growth, which I hope won't be for a good while yet, I'll protect them with fleece when needed.
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

I kept my tubers in my unheated greenhouse all winter in sand, but just potted them up into compost today. Should be fine there.

Comment

I'm planning to pot mine up and put them in my unheated greenhouse. Pretty warm during the day, but I'll keep an eye on the overnight temperature, and cover them if it drops below about 5 - which I expect is most nights for a while to come.
        Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Mine are potted up in unheated mini greenhouse. As others have said if temps are due to drop I will cover with some fleece to protect them. But also other years I have just planted them out when it's been warmer and they have been ok

Comment

Mine have been left in the ground as they were in previous years.
            The clumps of tubers are so big that I would never find room for them indoors. I just leave brush wood over the bed to give some protection.
            Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Good point about covering them. Overnight temps in the gh still going down to about 2.

Comment

Some of my lifted ones are pretty big too, Plot70, but I've found if I leave them in the ground the new shoots are grazed off by slugs and snails, and they never get a chance to grow.

My friend saw a YouTube demo from a professional dahlia grower. Wait till you can see the tuber sprouting, then you can split your tubers into new plants. I've found it impossible to tell which bits will produce plants, so wasted my time potting up bits that do nothing. I'm going to try this with my whoppers.
                Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

I bought one massive multi tubered corm of dahlia Vancouver with a view to striking cuttings from it. I have it on a heated propagator tray and can see five shoots coming up from it now. These i will take as cuttings before planting the large tubers out later on. Six plants for he cost of one seems a bargain to me!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
                    Some of my lifted ones are pretty big too, Plot70, but I've found if I leave them in the ground the new shoots are grazed off by slugs and snails, and they never get a chance to grow.
                    I usually have to put some slug pellets down. I get a nice clear bed and the strawberries are next in from the vehicle track so there is less slug damage on them later too.
                    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

While weeding this afternoon I noticed all my dahlias are up and growing.
                      I leave them in the ground all year round.
                      I just earth them up very well and sometimes put an upturned flower pot over the crown for protection.
                      These are old pottery pots.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...