Bed full of Bulbs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bed full of Bulbs

The bed in our patio was looking quite sad over the winter so I ordered some bulbs (daffodils, muscari, tulips and crocuses). They are popping up nicely now, but how do I then plant the summer bedding? Will I be able to plant around the bulbs?

I didn't plan this very well...!

PS, is there any real beginners YouTube channels or similar where I can get to learn about flowers and how to plan through the year?

Yes you can plant round the bulbs or over the bulbs,ignore them being there,daffs might still be in leaf but you can tie them out the way,by gently holding all the green leaves & folding them together to make a shorter clump then tie the clump with one of the leaves & tuck it in to hold,so it’s a neat little thing. Crocus should be finished,I sometimes plant out & accidentally dig out some crocus bulbs,they can just be moved & covered with soil again. Years ago I collected up some bulbs in the way,tulips etc & planted them in a near enough heap at the bottom of the garden,it was an amazing display,I’ve since added more bulbs in the gaps,there’s hardly any weeds there because there’s no space careful you’re don’t stab the bulbs with a fork,I use a little fork & the area shouldn’t need digging,loosen out the weeds & plant with little soil disturbance.

Comment

I found that some bulbs eventually get so crowded that some of them get pushed out of the ground especially snowdrops.
      About a third of the pushed up bulbs flower in the first year after moving to a new area.
      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Thanks all for the ideas.

Comment

I would just add that I was about to pull out some daffodils in the border that I thought had not flowered this year only to find they were in fact alliums which were in bud. I would recommend them in all their various guises for the in between gap before your summer annuals kick in. They are incredibly forgiving.

Comment

Talking about alliums,leave some leeks in the ground,the following year they’ll flower,the hoverflies & bees will be all over them
            Click image for larger version

Name:	63B69FD6-878B-4EB1-8B94-C62DCEF50BBA.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	602.5 KB
ID:	2543495

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X