Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was so proud of the 6 lupin seeds that germinated out of 18 I sowed. They grew into strong seedlings in 3" pots under a cloche. I take off the cloche during the day to let them acclimatise. Today the blackbird that is building in my hedge decided that the fine damp compost was just what she needed to finish off the nest. She pulled out 4 of the 6 lupins, and almost emptied each pot of compost. No idea how long they had been out of their pots. I've replanted them but they look awfully limp.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Sowed some zinnia that got free with my mag, resowed some rudbekia and didn’t cover with compost this time.

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
        Sowed some zinnia that got free with my mag, resowed some rudbekia and didn’t cover with compost this time.
        Zinnia starting to come through already. That was quick!

Comment

Re-sowed some dahlia seeds to replace the young seedlings I forgot to bring in one frosty night. Also planted out 3 dahlias from Wilk0s. By the time they start to grow the frost danger should have passed.
          Endless wonder.

Comment

Convolvulus Royal Ensign (non climbing). Resowed mixed colour black eyed Susie, having waited three weeks for the last lot to germinate - old seed. New seed up in two days.
            Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

After getting a grand total of two plants from two sowings of cosmos, I've changed tactics and put all the remaining seeds I have (including some quite old ones) to chit on damp kitchen roll. Then I'll know if it's the seeds, the compost, or me!
              Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                After getting a grand total of two plants from two sowings of cosmos, I've changed tactics and put all the remaining seeds I have (including some quite old ones) to chit on damp kitchen roll. Then I'll know if it's the seeds, the compost, or me!
                Well, I think I have my answer. Both lots of seeds put to chit 2 days ago and treated exactly the same. The cosmos Purity seeds, on the left in the picture, self saved by me in 2018, out of 23 seeds, 17 have germinated already. the cosmos Polidor, bought last autumn, not one seed showing any sign of germination.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cosmos seeds.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	2544686
                Endless wonder.

Comment

Another 3 purity have germinated, making 20 out of 23, and now 3 polidor out of the 35 seeds have started to put out a tiny root too
                  Last edited by mothhawk; 25-04-2022, 10:10 AM.
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

Today I sowed a tray of dahlia unwins dwarf hybrids from kings seeds & a cell tray of dahlia pompon mixed (these say sow by 2021 I hope some germinate).

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post

Zinnia starting to come through already. That was quick!
                      got about 3 rudbekia coming through.

Comment

Sowed rudbeckia, alyssum, and some primrose yellow marigolds that were self saved, so I'm hoping some will be the same colour again, though they've probably crossed with orange ones.
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                          Today I sowed a tray of dahlia unwins dwarf hybrids from kings seeds & a cell tray of dahlia pompon mixed (these say sow by 2021 I hope some germinate).
                          They all germinated & I’ve got about fifty dahlias

Click image for larger version

Name:	3BE94927-3EAE-45F3-8284-59966EAD32DB.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2544908

Comment

Yesterday I sowed ten teddy bear sunflowers & potted on twenty three dahlias,twenty nine left to go

Comment

I sowed sunflowers yesterday too. My mum got a sunflower growing kit for her birthday last month, it contained a small ornamental pot, compost, and a packet of dwarf sunflower seeds. When I opened it, there were 40 seeds! In that one little pot? No way! So I've sown them all outside along the fence. If they grow they should look pretty good.
                              Also scattered a free packet of escholtzia seeds along the border. They can take their choice to grow or not.
                              Endless wonder.

Comment

Sowed another pot of nasturtium but soaked them for a couple of hours first. The first 3 pots sown about 2 weeks ago are not showing and I am not hopeful. Just want a few to dot here and there. First nicotiana and cosmos planted out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X