Small Leafed Salvias like Hot Lips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Leafed Salvias like Hot Lips

Hot Lips despite being late to leaf up is now growing and flowering very well.

An Amethyst Lips planted from a 3.5" pot last year close by has been very disappointing, no flowers.

I also have nine mixed small leafed varieties in 6" pots which I had grown on from plugs from last year. Late to leaf up and no flowers.

Very disappointed. Any hints please because as it stands it's not worth wasting space in a bed with them.

Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

I love Salvias. I have several Hot Lips, Red Trumpets and Radio Red which have been very successful from cuttings and the garden centre. However, my salvia Amistad was a disaster and died so I bought another. Mine seemed to improve and get bigger over the years and are still flowering now.

Comment

I have an Amistad type too and it hasn't flowered for three years!
      Hot lips is very vigorous and is flowering like there's no tomorrow. It's the others that are doing nothing.
      Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I know they need a lot of sun, and I think a poor soil might suit them too. Could you move them in case it helps?

My hardy salvias - hot lips and blue note - flower all summer in full sun.
        Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Possibly I overfed them!
          I shall try starving them into submission!
          Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

My mum has a few of them but leaves them in tubs. She cuts that back a bit before winter and shelters them nr a hedge , has even put them in gh in bad weather.
            Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X