Perennials

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perennials

Monty Don suggested sowing perennial seeds a couple of weeks ago. I sowed cosmos ready for next year as an experiment. My seedlings are now about four inches tall with potential flower buds displaying. Can anyone tell me what to do now considering they are to be overwintered. Do I pinch them out or just leave them. Thank you.

The frost will pinch them out for you.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by Holly Daze View Post
      Monty Don suggested sowing perennial seeds a couple of weeks ago. I sowed cosmos ready for next year as an experiment. My seedlings are now about four inches tall with potential flower buds displaying. Can anyone tell me what to do now considering they are to be overwintered. Do I pinch them out or just leave them. Thank you.
      Which Cosmos have you grown? The pretty pink and white Cosmos are tender and should be sown in Spring. Chocolate Cosmos is perennial but even a mature plant is unlikely to survive the winter and is best lifted.
      You might be able to keep them alive indoors but they will need plenty of light. Give it a go, you might as well
      But I'd brace yourself for losing them and re-sowing in Spring.
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

You need to distinguish between hardy perennials and tender ones, before you decide which to sow when.

Comment

The variety is Cosmos Seashells. It does say on the packet that they can be sown in October. They are now 6 inches tall and look like they are going to be leggy. If I pinch them out, will they get bushier?

Comment

I would always pinch out cosmos so you get a nice bushy plant. However, as others have said, cosmos will be killed by frost so it needs to go under cover. Monty maybe said he was sowing hardy annuals (pot marigolds, poppies and suchlike). This is a good time to sow some sweet peas for next year, as long as you have somewhere sheltered outside to keep them. They're fine with cold temperatures.
            Last edited by Babru; 19-10-2021, 07:01 AM.
            Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

I shall pinch them out. They will be stored in greenhouse. Fingers crossed. Thanks for your advice and guidance all. Brilliant as ever.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X