Wilting Sunflower

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilting Sunflower

Well for the life of me I just can't understand why a perfectly healthy sunflower I have been growing has decided to wilt and go yellow. I keep the bed well watered and fed (nettles) but it seems to be going downhill fast. This kind of thing just happens again and again, despite doping everything by the book.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Marb67; 22-07-2021, 01:28 PM.

Since I took this photo it has completely died in 1 day.

Comment

Dig it up carefully and see if you can work out what's been going on with its roots.
      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

There'll definitely be something wrong with the roots. Probably something ate them.

Comment

Its too big to dig up and what on earth would eat the roots of a plant that large in one day ?

Comment

Not saying it’s voles Marb, but I lost several globe artichoke plants a few years back to voles. Also clematis, tulips and pea plants.
            All healthy looking one day and withered and dead the next.

Pull it out gently as the others say and check out the roots.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

We don't have voles or any other rodent as the 2 cats would have seen them off by now.

Comment

Can you post a photo of the base of the plant and ground around it?
                Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                  Its too big to dig up and what on earth would eat the roots of a plant that large in one day ?
                  It doesn't need to be in one day. The damage was likely building up for some time, and it is only now that it has become severe enough for it to produce noticeable effects on the top of the plant.
                  The culprit is likely to be insect larvae of some sort.

Also, if it is root damage you will probably find that digging it up is not necessary. It will just pull up, as it won't have many roots left.
                  Last edited by ameno; 23-07-2021, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I’m wondering about what the base of the plant looks like,slugs ate through one of my stems at the base years ago,if there’s damage there it’ll be hard for the plant to get sufficient water.

Comment

I have pulled it out and it still has a root ball so no idea why this died.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I can’t see photos when I click on them (new problem thats doing my head in) does it look like somethings nibbled at the base,it looks narrower & there’s a colour change? The root ball doesn’t seem very big although I’ve never dug one up,I cut them at the base & leave it for the worms to eat,for the size of plant it seems small?

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                          I have pulled it out and it still has a root ball so no idea why this died.
                          If that's all the rootball it had, then that's nothing. it should have at least five times that.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post

If that's all the rootball it had, then that's nothing. it should have at least five times that.
                            Completely agree, they usually have massive rootballs to support the massive weighty tops.

Comment

I agree with the others about the small root ball size, have a look at this webpage the photo is halfway down.

https://therosejournal.wordpress.com...nflower-seeds/
                              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X