Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germination question.

Hi.
    I was wondering how successful seed tray flower seed sowers sowers have been.
    I have a really good success rate generally but on occasion it just smacks of “is it them or me?”
    This spring I sowed a packet of Johnsons Delphiniums. Only 1 seed germinated out of the whole pack. One..but very healthy.
    I never have damping off so I’m doing something right. My germination conditions are good by the way re light heat and moisture.
    So how are you doing?

I'm pleased with my results so far this year. My cosmos, french marigolds, nicotiana and morning glory are all doing very well and are being put outside each day to harden off. The only ones I had middling germination with are the rudbeckia, I have just six plants from one packet of seeds and eight from another. Not really sure why.

Comment

Hit and miss for me usually, one lot of Sunflowers(last years seed though) zero result, Russian Giant Sunflowers(new seed) 75% success, Livingston Daisies are good this year, last year they were rubbish, Foxgloves just starting to show.
      Last edited by burnie; 13-05-2021, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Delphiniums are mountain plants - think Alps, Himalayas, Siberia - so they like cold moist winters. Put the seeds on a damp kitchen towel, place inside a polythene bag or tupperware box or similar, and put in the fridge for two days, then sow as normal. The seeds think they've had a nice cold wet winter and will germinate much better.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
          Delphiniums are mountain plants - think Alps, Himalayas, Siberia - so they like cold moist winters. Put the seeds on a damp kitchen towel, place inside a polythene bag or tupperware box or similar, and put in the fridge for two days, then sow as normal. The seeds think they've had a nice cold wet winter and will germinate much better.
          Only two days? I admit I've never grown those particular plants before, but usually seeds which need cold treatment need much longer, at least 20 days and sometimes close to two months.
          Also, depending on the seed a lot will simply germinate in the fridge if you leave them there (my peach seeds did when I was giving them cold treatment).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X