Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peonies

Collapse

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Peonies

    Hello Folks,

    I have finally treated myself to my first ever bare root herbaceous peonies. Any tips or advice on planting, positioning etc?
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds!
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

  • #2
    They like rich ground and plenty of sun, but do object to being moved. Pick a spot where there is room for them to grow on undisturbed, You'll probably need to provide a bit of support for any flowering stems. If there seems to be a lot of bare earth between the plants then sow some annuals in the gaps, they are not the quickest of plants to get moving.

    I have a few plants which have survived me neglecting them for close on 40 years, and they still occasionally flower even though stinging nettles have been trying to take over their patch. One plus is the deer don't like them, so that has helped them survive in my wilderness.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks Nick that's really helpful. Finally, I have something those pesky deer won't eat!
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds!
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

      Comment


      • #4
        Peonies don't like being planted deep. They'll grow but won't flower. Plant them so the tuber is not more than 1" below the surface. I've never found mine object to being moved, and they make lots of big tubers quickly. In fact I have difficulty removing them from places I don't want them, as the tiniest piece left grows, and in two or three years begins to flower.

        I find they like rich soil and sunshine, but are quite happy in partial shade too.

        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thank you mothhawk
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds!
          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

          Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

          Comment


          • #6
            Ever thought of tree peonies? They can bear impressive displays and some are scented.
            There are some Hybrids between herbaceous and tree peonies.
            Got a bare root one which I'm bringing on in a pot before planting out if it ever gets warmer.
            Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DannyK View Post
              Ever thought of tree peonies? They can bear impressive displays and some are scented.
              There are some Hybrids between herbaceous and tree peonies.
              Got a bare root one which I'm bringing on in a pot before planting out if it ever gets warmer.
              Yes! They're beautiful too, I used to have a couple at my last house. I may well get some more
              Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds!
              Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

              Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

              Comment


              • #8
                I still have a red peony from grandparents garden . Have it in a big tub , needs to go in the ground but worried i will.lose it in my clay /wet or baked soil.
                Northern England.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                  I still have a red peony from grandparents garden . Have it in a big tub , needs to go in the ground but worried i will.lose it in my clay /wet or baked soil.
                  If it's happy keep it where it is, maybe repot instead?
                  Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds!
                  Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

                  Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yes thats a good idea . Bigger pot. Last yr I had no flowers, will see what happens maybe this yr.
                    Northern England.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Just to emphasise the point made by Mothhawk, they really hate being planted deeply. Make sure the plant is no deeper in the ground than it was in the pot.

                      I inherited a red peony when I moved into my current house. It's in a cold, draughty, north-facing corner by the front door in claggy soil where nothing much else will grow, yet it flowers its heart out every spring. It's pushed itself quite a long way out of the ground over the years, see the picture.

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210415_133235 peonies.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	700.4 KB
ID:	2522708



                      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                        Just to emphasise the point made by Mothhawk, they really hate being planted deeply. Make sure the plant is no deeper in the ground than it was in the pot.

                        I inherited a red peony when I moved into my current house. It's in a cold, draughty, north-facing corner by the front door in claggy soil where nothing much else will grow, yet it flowers its heart out every spring. It's pushed itself quite a long way out of the ground over the years, see the picture.

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210415_133235 peonies.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	700.4 KB
ID:	2522708


                        Goodness, north facing, that is interesting. I've potted mine up, not too deep I hope, got the old crown bit just at or below the compost level, can already see a thick pink shoot. I am ridiculously excited!
                        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds!
                        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

                        Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

                        Comment

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        Recent Blog Posts

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X