Flower/Triffid ID, 3rd go.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flower/Triffid ID, 3rd go.

In the "flower" section as whatever it is came in a wildflower pack of seeds.
    The rest were a waste of time but 4 of these grew and I left them, thinking they may flower this year.
    Big round spiky and tough leaves.
    Reason for asking is that I seem to have a smaller one growing at the other end of the garden and doubt it came from any of the seed packets.
    Makes me suspect many of the seeds were really weeds and little to do with wild flowers, wild maybe, flowers doubious.

Any idea what it is?
    That one is about 18" across.

Teasel - biennial

Comment

Thanks, need to decide what to do with them now.

Comment

I've got teasels in my garden the Goldfinches love them but they do self seed everywhere so i move mine to the bottom of the garden well away from my veg beds.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Definitely teasel.
          It is nice to leave one or two for the bees and they pull out of the veg beds easily enough.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

The seed heads will look great later in the year.

Comment

Yup teasel. Mine still look like that am waiting for the flower spike to appear this year.

Comment

They look great in the countryside, very architectural. I thought about having one in my garden, but decided I didn't want them coming up everywhere. Tough plants, I don't think they'd be easy to eradicate.
                Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
                  They look great in the countryside, very architectural. I thought about having one in my garden, but decided I didn't want them coming up everywhere. Tough plants, I don't think they'd be easy to eradicate.
                  They're only biennial, so they're not that hard to kill, as they die naturally after flowering, anyway.
                  They do self-seed a lot, though.

Comment

That's interesting ameno, I didn't know they were biennial.
                    Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X