No announcement yet.

Climbing challenge

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, thank you all for the suggestions. Nick's rose was sort of the winner but we looked at others and have ordered Rosa Bobbie James as we think it'll be a little better for bees.

Quite excited about the prospect as it happens.

It does concern me a little that no-one has said the cherry laurel will take all the water and nutrients and whatever I plant there will die. Is this genuinely not a concern?
    Last edited by mrbadexample; 16-01-2021, 10:08 PM.
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I also live next to a substation, and the previous owners had put a varigated ivy (NW facing), and a berberis. Bees love the ivy, and birds have nested in the berberis.
      I love the fireplace, just needs something red to grow in the grate, like hot coals!

Comment

Originally posted by Chestnut View Post
        I also live next to a substation!
        Hurrah, it's not just me! ​

They're not terribly pretty are they? We thought about painting a fire but something like marigolds would nail that. Good idea! ​​​​​​​
        At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post

It does concern me a little that no-one has said the cherry laurel will take all the water and nutrients and whatever I plant there will die. Is this genuinely not a concern?
          It is a concern but if you put loads of much and compost down first and water regularly I'd have thought it'd do ok.

I have two Austin roses, one is under a massive pine tree and hardly gets any water - but us right next to a triple compost, so it gets the constant supply of nutrients but no water . I chuck a bucket of water at it when it's hot or it's not blooming as it could and it picks up.
          The other one is under a cherry tree and in full sun at the height of summer. That gets a bucket of water once a week when it's particularly hot, and the occasional sprinkling of feed and banana skins.

Yoy can at least try and see how it copes ...and if not then move it....
          I guess it'll be fine if you are happy to pamper if necessary.

I love the idea of orange flowers in the fireplace!

We have a very old bike propped up against a fence at the bottom of our garden and put a galvanised watering can on the back with multi coloured tumbling nasturtiums and a geranium. Looks lovely!

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hurrah, it's not just me! ​

They're not terribly pretty are they?
            Agree they need a bit of greenery, but they are surprisingly good neighbours in other ways. Very quiet, no loud music late at night, and being single storey we get more light in the garden and through our windows than we would if we had a 2-3 storey building there ;-)
            Last edited by Nicos; 17-01-2021, 12:34 PM. Reason: Fixing quote :)

Comment

Ok, thank you all for the suggestions. Nick's rose was sort of the winner but we looked at others and have ordered Rosa Bobbie James as we think it'll be a little better for bees.

Quite excited about the prospect as it happens.

Bobby James is a nice one. I did think Kiftsgate but that can be a little too vigourous

Do forget Crocosmia for your fireplace .. good old Lucifer or Diablo ( even redder)
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post

Bobby James is a nice one. I did think Kiftsgate but that can be a little too vigourous

Do forget Crocosmia for your fireplace .. good old Lucifer or Diablo ( even redder)
                Kiftsgate? 60'

Ok, I've forgotten Crocosmia.

Comment

Originally posted by Chestnut View Post

Agree they need a bit of greenery, but they are surprisingly good neighbours in other ways. Very quiet, no loud music late at night, and being single storey we get more light in the garden and through our windows than we would if we had a 2-3 storey building there ;-)
                  That's a very positive outlook and quite true!

Comment

Kiftsgate? 60'

Ok, I've forgotten Crocosmia.
                    I did say it was vigourous I once bought a Rambling rector for our vicars 60th birthday ( he had a sense of humour) and that romped up a 40ft oak tree no problem
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

You could try the climbing hydrangea, Hydrangea petiolaris. It's tough as old boots, vigorous without being too rampant once it gets going, and has the big advantage of self-clinging.
                      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Something else to consider is the orientation of the wall. Most climbers seem to grow towards the rising sun, i.e. to the east, at least that's what I find in my garden. So if your wall runs east/west and you plant at the east end you will be constantly fighting it to get it to cover the rest of the wall to the west.
                        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                          Something else to consider is the orientation of the wall. Most climbers seem to grow towards the rising sun, i.e. to the east, at least that's what I find in my garden. So if your wall runs east/west and you plant at the east end you will be constantly fighting it to get it to cover the rest of the wall to the west.
                          I'm expecting a bit of maintenance. As I am not planting this on my ground, I have to accept the risk that it could be chopped down at the whim of the grounds maintenance people. That would be a shame if it happens 10 years down the line, but it might. I will therefore need to make absolutely certain that it doesn't grow into the substation or cause any other problems, so it will be kept on a tight rein.

Comment

Bobby James is very beautiful. My sister has it, and it is pretty vigorous. Long, long branches, which are easy enough to train.
                            Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
                              Bobby James is very beautiful. My sister has it, and it is pretty vigorous. Long, long branches, which are easy enough to train.
                              That sounds ideal.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X