Acers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acers

Watching gardeners world last night and that garden they showed with loads of acers got me thinking. I have a few acers at the back and one that is really small and hasnt really grown much since I got it. Probably about 30cm tall. Wondering if it is worth lifting it and putting it in a pot in the greenhouse for the winter as they don’t seem to like damp wet weather. Ideally I’d like to plant it in the front garden next year which is less handy than the back but wanted it to be a bit bigger before I did that. Does that seem a good idea?

I wouldn't bother with overwintering it inside. Acers like coolish open gardens but with protection from strong wind - a sort of an edge of the forest setting. If the ground is at all waterlogged in the winter they will hate that. Best bet move it to a spot in the garden which is nearest to ideal conditions for it.

Having said all that some acers are naturally dwarf, never ending up at much more than 1 meter high, whereas others are forest trees and will easily do 20 m given time. My advice is to have a think about whether you have a spot in your garden where you could grow the type of tree you fancy and if you do then add it to the list you send to Father Xmas this year. If not then there are plenty of other trees which have stunning autumn foliage and are not so picky about conditions as ornamental maples.

Unless you have a huge garden or plan on moving house, the spots you have are what they are. You can however choose which plants you pick to grow in the available spaces.

Happy gardening :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X