Squirrels and Cyclamen

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squirrels and Cyclamen

Sometimes a squirrel digs up our Cyclamen.

The Cyclamen coum seem to suffer more than the Cyclamen hederifolium.

Is it just my random luck?
    Is it the tastes of my local squirrels?

Or do squirrels prefer Cyclamen coum rather than Cyclamen hederifolium?

We have a large patch of cyclamen. No idea what sort, small purple flowers about 1" long. We planted lots of colours, but they've all come up purple.

Anyway, I have never seen the squirrels try to eat them. Which is odd because the little furry pests try to eat most things.
    JOOI do you have red or grey squirrels?

Comment

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
      We have a large patch of cyclamen. No idea what sort, small purple flowers about 1" long. We planted lots of colours, but they've all come up purple.

Anyway, I have never seen the squirrels try to eat them. Which is odd because the little furry pests try to eat most things.
      JOOI do you have red or grey squirrels?
      The squirrels here are grey, with the occasional black mutation of the grey.
      There aren't any red squirrels.
      Last edited by FB.; 25-09-2020, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Place a feeder for squirrels, pour food into it. Then they will not harm your flowers. You will kill two birds with one stone - and you will save the flowers, and make life easier for the animals. Plus, squirrels are fun to watch. Unlike all other rodents, they are active during the day. My children are delighted with the dexterity of squirrels. These animals are really funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Leslie Simpson View Post
          Place a feeder for squirrels, pour food into it. Then they will not harm your flowers.
          If I do that their family will multiply rapidly and they'll invite their friends.
          Then I'll need more feeders to keep up with demand otherwise the hungry mob of squirrels will devour the whole garden.

Comment

Apparently pigs are partial to cyclamen coum. Its common name is eastern sowbread, so perhaps they have fewer toxins in than the hederifolium, which I have, and which have been untouched by squirrels in forty years.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post

If I do that their family will multiply rapidly and they'll invite their friends.
              Then I'll need more feeders to keep up with demand otherwise the hungry mob of squirrels will devour the whole garden.

If you protect cyclamen from proteins, they will eat something else. For me, the best way to prevent sabotage is to feed the animals. Yes, there will be more of them on the site, but they will not touch your flowers. Plus, they're cute and fun to watch. If you have children, they will love squirrels. And I see no other way to protect the flowers. Some flayers may recommend poisoning the squirrel, but that's disgusting.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X