Flowers for next year

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowers for next year

Sowed some seed today for next year. Feels like ages since I’ve done any seed sowing in the greenhouse. Put in 3 types of sweet peas, ragged robbin, orlaya glandiflora and catmint. Stuck some white cornflowers I’m too - know they prefer to be sown direct but I had limited success with my direct sowing this year so thought I’d try sowing inside and moving. Got a few echinops and echinacea seedlings still in the gh. Looking a bit sad through and not sure why.

Is that annual sweet peas? I sowed mine in January this year, then more in March, for flowering this summer, which they did (and still are).

Do you get extra-early flowers if you sow now?
    Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

I have lots of flower seeds for next year. I really should have a look through as I am sure some can be sown now. Thanks for the reminder!
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

I have tried and failed to grow Ragged Robin from seed, I ended up buying a plant for the bog garden by the pond, I'm hoping it will self seed this year, good luck with those.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
          Is that annual sweet peas? I sowed mine in January this year, then more in March, for flowering this summer, which they did (and still are).

Do you get extra-early flowers if you sow now?
          It felt like it helped me to get some earlier flowers sowing them in autumn. I had three pyramids with various types. Two are still flowering and just took the other out yesterday. If they don’t do much then I can still sow early next year. I used this years seed. So feels like it is free.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
            I have tried and failed to grow Ragged Robin from seed, I ended up buying a plant for the bog garden by the pond, I'm hoping it will self seed this year, good luck with those.
            I tried last year without success too. Always hopeful though.

Comment

I'll have a look through my seeds too - some hardy annuals that could live in the cold frame, why not. I've also found that sowing in situ isn't great. If they're in modules you know what you sowed and you can look after them better.

Comment

Cornflowers and catmint showing already.

Comment

I sowed some lupins a few weeks ago, nice little plants now. You see them for sale, £5 upwards, each. The challenge will be to get them through the winter without being eaten by snails.

Perhaps that's why they are expensive! Few survivors....

Comment

I planted a few earlier this year from seeds of the year before. Lost a few already but enough surviving and planting out now. Certainly cheaper than buying plants.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X