No announcement yet.

Weed or not?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh god just realised that one of the other things that I’ve got loads of in that area is fat hen. Just pulled out about 20 of them. This is the last time I direct sow with no actual idea what the seedlings are supposed to look like.

Comment

Have now pulled out the thing that looked like a carrot and all the fat hen. Last two potential weeds are these. Its going be rather empty in my front garden of they are.
      Attached Files

Comment

The plant on the previous page with the carrot-like leaves and pink flowers is common fumitory.
        The second picture in your above post is a sun spurge, a species of euphorbia. It's a very common weed.
        Not sure what the other picture is. I feel I've seen it before, but the name escapes me.

Comment

The left hand picture is annual knotweed or knotgrass, polygonum aviculare. the right hand one as Ameno says, is petty spurge.
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
            The left hand picture is annual knotweed or knotgrass, polygonum aviculare. the right hand one as Ameno says, is petty spurge.
            Pretty sure it's sun spurge rather than petty spurge, actually. The latter usually grows larger than that before flower, and is more heavily branched.
            Not that it really matters that much. It's a weed in the Euphorbia genus either way.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post

Pretty sure it's sun spurge rather than petty spurge, actually. The latter usually grows larger than that before flower, and is more heavily branched.
              Not that it really matters that much. It's a weed in the Euphorbia genus either way.
              Oh, OK. I thought it was sun spurge that was the tall one at up to 50cm.
              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
              Endless wonder.

Comment

So basically none of the seed I direct sowed has grown apart from a few corn marigolds and all I have is loads of weeds. Reckon they came with some topsoil I bought which was really disappointing quality. The part of the front garden I didn’t put the topsoil on doesn’t have the same weeds at all. Oh well think I might need some bedding plants to fill all the gaps.

Comment

Sorry should have said thanks for all the identification even if it’s not what I wanted to hear. Could’ve spent the next few months tending all these weeds and waiting for them to grow into what I had planted. Veg is so much easier than this !

Comment

The carroty one also looks a bit like Rue.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4DC061B1-8F6E-4A3A-8B2D-24BDC1593881.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	2506769 So another thing is growing in the front garden that might be a weed. Pretty tall no flowers but a few buds. Any ideas?

Comment

Looks like fat hen to me, or if not that then definitely something in the amaranth family, at least.

Comment

I had wondered if it might be fat hen that I had missed from before. I took loads of them out when they were really small. Any way to tell for sure or do I just pull it?

Comment

Well, it's definitely an amaranth of some sort, even if it's not specifically fat hen, and all amaranth will seed about them place if you let them go to seed.
                            So unless you particularly like the look of it, I'd pull it out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X