Aquilegias

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquilegias

I have a lovely deep blue aquilegia that I would like to propagate but I don't have a clue how to do it. It is growing from one rosette of leaves so I can't split it. Can I take root cuttings, or is there some other way? There are other aquilegias near so I think the seeds won't come true.

They won’t survive being split. The only way to propagate is by seed. If you can isolate the plant you might get a seedling that comes ‘true’.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Can I "isolate" it by putting a bag over a bud and then hand pollinating it when it opens? Do I need to use pollen from a different flower or will the pollen on the isolated flower pollinate itself?

Comment

You could try. I dont know if they’re re self fertile but I think not. The only other way is to cut all the flowers off any other plants and let your blue grow on. Some one will be along shortly who knows more than me. I just let ‘em grow!!
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Deep blue aquilegias are pretty - I spotted one growing out of a neighbour's wall on the roadside two years ago, and helped myself to some seed from it. They germinated no problem, but most which are now in flower are either white or pink. I did get one blue one, so if I get myself organised I may get round to collecting the seed from that. The white ones are pretty too, so I'll probably save some from them - my gardening is rather random and I usually end up with more weeds than flowers or veg :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X