F1's F2's- what does it mean??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1's F2's- what does it mean??

I'm interested in Delphiniums at the moment I know that these don't come true to seed. Most of the 'specials' are F2, can anyone please explain what this means exactly?

Ta!

Wikipedia has the answer!

"The main advantage of homozygous F1 hybrids is also their drawback. When homozygous F1 cultivars are used for the breeding of a new generation, their offspring (F2 generation) will be high in homozygous genes, as found in the weaker parental generation, and thus will have a depression in yield and lack the hybrid vigor. From the point of view of a commercial seed producer which does not wish its customers to produce their own seed, this is a desired characteristic"
    Last edited by Capsid; 16-05-2008, 02:19 PM.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Maybe its because I was up too early but I'm abit confused.

So F1 is better than F2. F2 will be weaker than F1? I guess in Delphiniums that could be a good thing because the pink and white colours are caused by recessive genes.

Thanks you for the link Capsid- most appreciated!

Comment

F2 will be weaker than F1 but more uniform. The recessive genes for colour will be selected for when breeding and crossing from the F1 stock that results in most of the F2 plants will look the same.
        Last edited by Capsid; 17-05-2008, 08:48 AM.
        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid
          F2 will be weaker than F1 but more uniform. The recessive genes for colour will be selected for when breeding and crossing from the F1 stock that results in most of the F2 plants will look the same.
          But does this 'weaker' only apply to your delphinium example?

Here's a link to creating stable tomato strains - it doesn't talk about f2s being 'weak'?

Tomato Genes
          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 17-05-2008, 11:37 AM.
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
            But does this 'weaker' only apply to your delphinium example?

Here's a link to creating stable tomato strains - it doesn't talk about f2s being 'weak'?

Tomato Genes
            That site doesn't really address hybrid vigour. I believe it is a general principle.
            Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X