Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No slug damage...

My Hosta suffered from slug damage..

I dug it up and put it in a black bin liner...

Look at it now

Geo..

thanks for putting that photo on- we've recently moved to a new house with a well established garden full of flowers, shrubs & trees that we don't recognise but now i know we've got some hostas!
    Ours haven't been damaged by slugs although i often find snails hiding in the leaves.
    xxx

Comment

Great Tip Geo

Hosta looks fantastic, Good for you.
      http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Good looking Hosta Geo. Mine are just coming up now.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

My snails are very picky eaters! They left untouched 3 hostas, loads of baby lupins and hollyhocks and 2 adult delphiniums, but wiped out an adult hollyhock and baby delphiniums

Comment

I'm surprised that has stopped them, maybe they just haven't realised where you've moved them too. Apparently they love Hostas

Comment

Originally posted by SMS6 View Post
              I'm surprised that has stopped them, maybe they just haven't realised where you've moved them too. Apparently they love Hostas
              They can not get passed the folds in the bin liner which fill with water..

I have added salt to the folds

Geo..

Comment

Your hosta looks lovely....just now. After a season of rain, unless you have put lots of holes in the bin liner near the roots.for drainage...the roots will eventually rot. Eventually the salt may leach into the soil as well.

Its usually the fresh young shoots that they go for, the adult leaves will be much tougher and less tasty. Your best bet, if you don't want to use pellets, is crushed egg shells or sharp grit round the plant when the shoots are just starting to emerge.

Comment

Originally posted by TWINKLETOES View Post
                  Your hosta looks lovely....just now. After a season of rain, unless you have put lots of holes in the bin liner near the roots.for drainage...the roots will eventually rot. Eventually the salt may leach into the soil as well.

Its usually the fresh young shoots that they go for, the adult leaves will be much tougher and less tasty. Your best bet, if you don't want to use pellets, is crushed egg shells or sharp grit round the plant when the shoots are just starting to emerge.

Geo..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X