Flowering bulbs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowering bulbs

What do I do now that my daffs, tulips, grape hyacinths, and other bulbs have finished flowering I want to leave them where they are and plan to sow flowering seeds in same bit, they are at my lottie in a border on the outside of fence I put in lots of compost when i planted the bulbs.
    They have been fantastic.
    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
    and ends with backache

You need to leave them as they stand till they have had enough light and time to store up energy for the next year. I never cut back living growth (leaves). Your best bet is to start of the seeds you want in pots and to pot them up as they grow, then stick them in. Shallow pots are best. Alternatively, sow into plugs and stick the plants between the bulbs.
    Last edited by SimonCole; 10-05-2008, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Hi Jackie, leave the topgrowth on your bulbs as it helps to feed them for next year. I know it can be very untidy, so gather the leaves into bunches and tie them together. After a few weeks they will have died off and you can just lift the dead leaves and take them away. Scatter over the bulbs with some blood, fish and bone or your preferred fertiliser. Plant whatever else you want to grow in the spaces between the bulb clumps. Hope it works well for you.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks for the advice I might just spinkle some seeds and see what happens that way I wont disturb the bulbs. A rabbit has alredy dug a large hole underneath trying to get out
        luckily the soil didnt collapse before I managed to fill it.
        Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
        and ends with backache

Comment

On a similar note, I want to know what to do qwith my daff's- the problem is, they are unplanted in a net sack- literally a sackload of them!! Help! It's blooming may. I wondered if i put them in the fridge to fool em it's winter, then plant em up outside, would that trick em. All i want is for them to survive till next year really!!

Comment

I put mine in the fridge, but they cannot miss a years growth so you need to plant them asap.

Comment

shal i put them in the fridge for a week then plant them?

Comment

If you can't plant them sooner then that is what I do. I like to turn the fridge down a bit though.

Comment

A cool dark place will suffice for storing. Get them in the ground asap, they are clever things and will not grow till next year (unless we have a cold summer!) The fridge is not a good idea, it will be too cold and worst of all damp.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X