The evil red weed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The evil red weed

Hello i get this week all over the garden and i was wondering if anyone knows what it is the leaves are always red and it produces small yellow flowers it spreads by root runners.. ill try and attach a pic here goes
    Attached Files

It looks quite pretty for a weed. Is it a rock plant on the loose? I have a number of plants that grow in the driveway which I think come from somebody's planting of a rockery many years ago. They tend to be quite easy to dig up though.
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

gcroft, I have that here, it tends to have quite a long tap root but is relatively easy to pull out just make sure you do it before any seed heads appear as they burst open on touch and the seeds go everywhere
      Last edited by poultrychat; 30-05-2006, 05:37 AM.
      www.poultrychat.com

Comment

I think it is Oxalis - very pretty but a complete pain to get rid of. No easy answer - keep pulling until it gets the message!

Comment

cheers

thanks peops ive sprayed the bugger with weedkiller (on gravel areas) and continue to hand weed the rest it spreads well its even found its way into my greenhouse on some of the potted plants.

I think your right with oxalis now i have a name to it i done a google and it looks like the little blighter. once again cheers i hate not knowing a plant in my garden

Comment

Looks rather like Shamrock to me - a rockery plant. I could be wrong through as I have only seen Shamrock with green leaves but the shape is the same which is a bit unique.

Comment

I think it's oxalis & it is very pretty but if you don't like it pull it all out carefully as it spreads like wildfire. I've planted some of the cultivated form as it is fairly hardy & needs to be to fight off all the slugs/snails/pests/wind & rain we have here!
              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

This is purple leaved creeping wood sorrel (oxalis corniculata atropurpurea) a plant rich in vitamin C.

Comment

It's Oxalis....it spreads by runners and by firing it's seeds from all directions. Glyphosate has a limited effect on it.

We've had to dig out, with a JCB, 12" of soil because of this stuff on Brighton's gardens.....it's seriously nasty and invasive.
                  Please visit my facebook page for the garden i look after

https://www.facebook.com/PrestonRockGarden

Comment

Can you eat it, if so how, raw in a salad or cooked.
                    Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Wood Sorrel, Oxalis corniculata, anthelmintic herb, used as astringent, antiscorbutic, diuretic, stomachic, febrifuge, styptic, snakebite, datura.

there are a few oxalis (aka pink shamrock, wood sorrel)

I hate it, it's a nuisance at home and on the lotty
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 05-05-2014, 05:24 AM.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X