sweet peas...what do I do now?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jeanine,

I would assume you don't have to pinch at all (well maybe once) if they are supposed to be basket cases

I only grow the sticky uppy ones ( see I know all the proper names) so can't say too much.

For anyone who is really interested in these little beauties (snadger for instance) have a look see in your local library and see if you can get hold of Bernard Jones book "THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO SWEET PEAS" Written by one of the best growers and Breeders for sometime and also a warwickshire lad or if you're feeling flush you can buy a copy from the National society

PS I have now connection with the society at this time
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Thanks Nick I'll get a copy, I don't know what it is about sweet peas, but I can never seem to grow enough different varieties!

Comment

Hi Jeanine,

The main problem is the mixes that you get from the seedsmen sell don't have a great variation in.

If you feel rich go to someone like Roger Parsons or Owl Acre and get one of there Collections - I know you'll feint when you see the £11 price tag but then you'll get 10 varieties in a range of colours (and Named) and 10 seeds of each so you'll have enough for 2 years ( unless you want to grow 100 plants a year) but more importantly if you want to what you can do instead of growing in 1 row you gould have 10 wigwams and grow 1 variety per wam and then it makes saving your own seed really easy.

So is't a lot cheaper in the long run
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by Ethansmum View Post
          Arghhh I think I was too eager to do the right thing, and I've pinched them out too early. Mine are about 4 inches tall
          I usually pinch out the tips when they have two pairs of their own 'proper' leaves...yours will be fine..

Comment

Oh thank goodness for that - thanks very much cottage garden

Comment

10 wigwams, now that's music to my ears!

might need to get an extra allotment...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X