Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here here - I agree!

Comment

Me too - especially as they are so easy to grow and don't mind poor conditions (including wind and cold!)
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Lastyear we sprinkled some climbing ones up against the side of the shed and then the following week went on hols for a fortnight. When we got back,they were about 5ft long but had grown along the ground and across the path instead of upwards!!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Black fly - absolutely heaving in black fly. We had them in baskets and containers around the back door. You couldn't see the flowers for black fly. It was horrible.
          [

Comment

that's why you plant them on the plot as they attract the blackfly away from your braod beans and everything else. I grow them specifically for companion planting as they seems to be the easiest and fastest flowers to grow. I'm getting into marigolds now, but I find I have to start them off in February indoors as they take so long to grow.

Comment

I grew some "sacrificial" nasturtiums around my cabbages last year and they seemed to attract most of the caterpillers. I also grow a peppery salad variety - the flowers look lovely in a salad and the leaves and flowers taste very nice too.
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

wouldn't fancy blackfky in my salad though...

Comment

I've never had any problems with blackfly - yet ! Hope I haven't spoken too soon
                  ~
                  ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I've just sown some nasturtiums in pots as they never seem to grow very well when I sow them direct in the ground, last year just a couple appeared about August! Must admit that although I love the flowers they do get covered with blackfly & sometimes I end up ripping chunks off them to get rid of the flies!
                    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Groe nasurtiums every year and never have any trouble with black fly. Hope i have'nt spoken too soon.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I have, but only in the garden and not on the alotment
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

This year I have grown "sacrificial" nasturtiums to take the black fly from my other plants. Funny enough they are clear of all bugs. perhaps it's due to th esquare foot method where my onions are mixed in with everything else?

Comment

I too have indoor planted nasturtiums which I will plant near the brasicas & beans. I will however be planting marigolds in between to attract the hover flies which will eat the black fly.
                            Nature Girl

Comment

I have had problems with blackfly and the trick is similar to broad beans, they will initially go for the leaves of the nasturtiums, get them earl and you can nip it off and burn them.
                              Best wishes
                              Andrewo
                              Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

I usually grow nasturtiums as companion plants with brassicas,and occasionally with other vegs.My problem is they self seed everywhere in my raised beds,so, when they start growing the following year I transplant to where I want them,then compost the ones not needed. I don't like the taste of them,or the plant it's self but it does its job.I also just nip off bits with blackfly on.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X