Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

advice on flowers, think I have sown a little early.....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on flowers, think I have sown a little early.....

Hello everyone,

I mainly grow vegetables but each year I try and do more and more flowers. This year I have, forget-me-nots, calendulas, California poppies and marigolds. Everything seems alright with the forget-me-nots and the marigolds, however, the poppies and calendulas are getting quite big and they are really about to need planted out. I could perhaps manage to keep them in the modules for another week but even then the frosts won't have passed here in Scotland. So what do you think, can California poppies and calendulas handle some frost or am I better trying to old off for as long as possible? even if it means feeding them in the modules ?

Thank you all,

Jamie

Plant out in clumps, cover with fine mesh/fleece etc on nights where frost is expected.

Comment

Yes I agree they should be ok with a little protection but try to harden them off first.

Comment

Calendula is hardy and will last over the winter here in Edinburgh. If you harden them off over a few days I would think you'd be safe planting them out. According to the RHS Californian poppies are hardy to -5, so not as tough as your marigolds. Why not try hardening some off and planting them, with fleece at night if it drops to less than about +5. You'd not lose them all if the worst happened.
        Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Thanks for you help everyone. I have taken your advice and planted some of them out, the calendulas. If we get really had weather to come then I'll maybe try and protect them, if not I guess itll be a bit of a learning experience.

Thank you!

Jamie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X