Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a doubtful bargain or gardening serendipity ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a doubtful bargain or gardening serendipity ?

Last year when scanning the bargain buys at Morrisons I came across a tray of monkey Flower a.k.a. annual mimulus - 40p-'ish for a 6 compartment block, two of which appeared to be dead and the other 4 on their last legs due to lack of watering. Anyway I decided to take pity on them and had visions of growing them on in pots - however laziness won out, and they spent the rest of the season in my Poly-tunnel where they flowered profusely for a few months and then died. Seemed a bit of a waste at the time, but even I can afford to squander an odd 40p now and then :-)

Anyhow, this year I noticed some unidentified leaves in a few odd pots and tubs which seemed to belong to new plants - I guessed they were weeds of some sort, but I left them to it as I wasn't sure. Turns out they are new mimulus plants, presumably self-seeded, and the first lot of flowers is just staring to come out on one of the 7 potfuls I now have. Very pretty and colourful little things.

So if anybody is growing these annuals this year, I'd say try scattering a few seed heads in pots at the end of the season and you may get some free early plants next year.
    Last edited by nickdub; 14-04-2020, 06:25 PM.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X