No show sunflowers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No show sunflowers

I have sown 4 pots with 2 seeds each of Sunflower .. Black Magic. From. Johnsons
    Sow date was a month ago. All to the letter sowing instructions.Still no sign of seedlings. i have a 6 left and wondered if anyone has any crafty hints that they find work in getting these blighters to germinate. I have a sneaky feeling I tried some last year and they failed too but not certain. Hence my latest attempt.
    The use by date is 2022 so ok there. Please help.

Where are the pots, are they inside where the temperature is fairly stable?

Comment

I took some Sunflower seeds from a bird food mix and put them to chit in the airing cupboard in a plastic box with damp kitchen towel at the bottom. Took about 2 days for them to germinate, and I then sowed them in a container of compost. First leaves now just poking through about a week after sowing.

Comment

I grew sunflowers once from purchased seed. Now they come up every year willy nilly. However non appearing yet so it is maybe just a little early.

Comment

Self set sunflowers are popping up on our plot at the mo.
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Burnie... yes pots in conservatory so temperature as recommended. Still no sign of seedlings.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbin View Post
              Burnie... yes pots in conservatory so temperature as recommended. Still no sign of seedlings.
              You either have bad seed, something nasty in the compost or the temp in the conservatory is too inconsistent.

Put some seed in a plastic box on a damp piece of kitchen roll and put it somewhere like the top of a radiator which is on and can be kept at a constant 22 C or above - should germinate in under 48 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                I grew sunflowers once from purchased seed. Now they come up every year willy nilly. However non appearing yet so it is maybe just a little early.
                I've suddenly got sunflowers coming up everywhere!! (Mostly where I really don't want them).

Comment

I read a previous thread about sunflowers here a few nights ago, so I took some out of my wild bird seed mix, last week I put some general purpose compost in a 12 module tray and put a seed in each module I watered it and left in the poly tunnel, today there are leaves poking through in 2 of the modules in less than a week. Happy days for an experiment.

Comment

I had three sowings of various commercial sunflowers completely fail on me too.
                    My final try was “Teddybear” from one of the seed circles provided by Norfolk Grey.
                    Magic!!!
                    Thank you NG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X