Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
    I was about to say seven sisters.
    Turns out that’s a rambling rose not a climber. What’s the difference?
    Anyway it’s here if you want a look
    https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/seven-sisters-rose
    Vigour I think. My newish Kiftsgate, a rambler, which is gathering momentum is up to 3m+ and should get to 10m+ . The care label said to remove spent blooms!!!!! I have a self supporting unknown, pergola collapsed, 5m wide, 3m high 3m deep which I inherited in 1995. I can smell it about 30m away. Unfortunately most ramblers only flower once.

Most climbers are shorter, some seem to be sports of shrub roses, and quite a few are repeaters.

Some shrubs can climb. I have a Fred Loads, which appeared 6m+ up from inside a conifer! A wrong place planting that came out right in the end.

Two neighbours have DA roses. One's are OK but the other's are drooping, but I thought they might be giving too much nitrogen. Told them not to fertilize this year.
    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

This what the DA website has to say about droopy flowers:
      "Q:The blooms on my rose tend to hang their heads. I thought that roses were meant to have upward-facing flowers?
      A:All roses take a few seasons to reach their mature shape and size. Large-flowered varieties, in particular, tend to get better over their first two or three years as the stems become thicker and provide greater support for their heavy blooms. Correct pruning is important where this problem occurs - see Pruning section. Feeding is also important - see Feeding Roses section. Follow the instructions carefully and do not overfeed, as this can produce more vigorous soft growth which can make the problem worse.

If you’re desperate for our more upward-facing varieties, we recommend Charlotte, Darcey Bussell, L. D. Braithwaite, Molineux, Port Sunlight, Queen Of Sweden or Sophy’s Rose. However, we do encourage gardeners to try some of the roses with nodding blooms as the effect on the mature shrub can be really delightful."

I don't know about the others, but Queen of Sweden and Gertrude Jekyll do not droop. Gentle Hermione and Lady Emma Hamikton really do. In fact, if LEH does not pull her socks up in the next couple of years she's for the compost heap!
      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

So much for finalising which roses to purchase, SO many more nice roses and cheaper than DA.

Comment

Yes, the Trevor White website is veeeery interesting
          Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            I grow Zephirin - smell beautiful but looking a bit scruffy at the moment.

I like it because its thornless.
            I also grow Zephirin but I whack it back each year and it grows like a large bush rose, and yes a lovely perfume
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I grow Ena Harkness.
              The most amazing perfume.
              Deep dark wine but definitely hangs its head.

Just Joey.
              Upward facing, vigorous grower, peach colour.
              Flowers right through the summer.

Golden Showers.
              Yellow, extremely vigorous.
              I have it fan trained against the wall,

So many to choose from.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

As an aside.
                Didnt notice the word "climbing " when referring to the Rose's.
                None of the names I posted are climbers but beauties all the same.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X