No announcement yet.

Natural/wild border planting suggestions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my garden the bees go mad for borage, comfrey, perennial cornflower - purple and white. Penstemons. Sunflowers when they pop up. Knautia macedonia, alliums. Forget me knots. Calendula. They are all easy plants that should return or self seed.

#forgot perennial poppies - I have several different colours and the bees love them.

And I love perennial geraniums!
    Last edited by Scarlet; 07-06-2019, 05:56 PM.

Comment

And I forgot red campion....I think I could go on forever

Comment

Well I can't claim to be a TV personalty but I do like flowering plants of all sorts and 50 years of gardening has given me a chance to get to know some of them :-)

If you fancy another purplish one you could have a look at sambucus nigra "black-beauty" - large bunches of pink flowers in mid-summer followed by blackish red fruit which the balck-birds like - its not what I'd call a "first class" plant, so I wouldn't go for it myself, but it might fit the theme you are after.

Comment

Hi Perko, I’m doing a similar thing and it’s starting to look ok now and filling out. I would definitely do:-

Foxglove.
          Forget Me Nots are absolutely perfect for it and look very natural.
          Hollyhock for height.
          Delphinium maybe, again for height.
          Agapanthus.
          Euphorbia.
          Grasses. We have some and they look natural and fill out the space a bit.

Kind Regards.............Rob

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
            Well I can't claim to be a TV personalty but I do like flowering plants of all sorts and 50 years of gardening has given me a chance to get to know some of them :-)

If you fancy another purplish one you could have a look at sambucus nigra "black-beauty" - large bunches of pink flowers in mid-summer followed by blackish red fruit which the balck-birds like - its not what I'd call a "first class" plant, so I wouldn't go for it myself, but it might fit the theme you are after.
            What’s not first class about it? I’ve just planted a black elder!

Comment

I try to grow a range of plants to give as long a flowering season as possible, so there is something for bees etc at all times they are active. Blue, pink and purple flowers are very attractive to bees so you can't go wrong with most, as long as you avoid double flowers.

Early in the year you could have crocus, comes in all colours.

I also grow dead nettle (not a nettle, don't worry), apparently called the bumblebee plant in some areas https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/disc...ed-dead-nettle, it flowers early and keeps going for months.

If you grow buddleia and cut it back hard in mid May you can extend the flowering into autumn. It's not called butterfly bush for nothing! You can get smaller varieties nowadays if you prefer, eg the Buzz and Free Petite ranges.
              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
                What’s not first class about it? I’ve just planted a black elder!
                Just a prejudice on my part really - we used to have loads of elder in the rough ground around the village and sometimes in hedges, and it was always thought of as a bit of a weed - doesn't help that its not much of a hedging plant getting woody and open at the bottom, while all the growing bits are at the top - makes very poor firewood too :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
                  I try to grow a range of plants to give as long a flowering season as possible, so there is something for bees etc at all times they are active. Blue, pink and purple flowers are very attractive to bees so you can't go wrong with most, as long as you avoid double flowers.

Early in the year you could have crocus, comes in all colours.

I also grow dead nettle (not a nettle, don't worry), apparently called the bumblebee plant in some areas https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/disc...ed-dead-nettle, it flowers early and keeps going for months.

If you grow buddleia and cut it back hard in mid May you can extend the flowering into autumn. It's not called butterfly bush for nothing! You can get smaller varieties nowadays if you prefer, eg the Buzz and Free Petite ranges.
                  The one problem with buddleia is though its a good nectar source because its a recent introduction very little in the way of native bugs etc will live off it, so once the flowers are gone that's it for the year as afar as wildlife support goes. I like them myself but if space is an issue I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a wildlife garden.

If you want something easy to grow which provides valuable early pollen for the bees, then its hard to beat pussy willow.

Comment

You could join the flower seed circle https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...9-a_98375.html

In previous years there has been such a diverse range but lots of interesting and fantastic seeds appear that you may not naturally consider.

Comment

I have thin coastal soil , so ideal for a lot of native plants as most do no thrive in rich soil, Ox eyed daisy is one I have that I grew from seed and foxgloves are all over the garden, we have a really nice Sow thistle in flower at the moment, but not everyone will go that far, I also leave some stinging nettles, butterfly caterpillars eat them. I am now only sowing British native flowers in our garden, one of the reasons for next years pond/bog garden, intent to grow Ragged robin and Sweet cicely(which you can eat).

Comment

Just noticed that one of the mulleins in my garden has some caterpillars on it - it makes quite a good background plant, but again of course its a biennial which self seeds freely - the yellow flowers might not match your colour choices, but I believe there is a white one too.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                          - doesn't help that its not much of a hedging plant getting woody and open at the bottom, while all the growing bits are at the top
                          I have several, a black, a yellow and a variegated. Pruned back hard they don't ever get leggy.

Comment

Here's some things I grow in borders and find quite ornamental which are a bit wild, attract wildlife and/or are tough as old boots:

Lovage
                            Fennel
                            Meadowsweet
                            Turkish rocket (glow in the dark yellow flowers are nice, even if the leaves are boring)
                            Feverfew
                            Tansy
                            Alecost
                            Red veined sorrel
                            Geraniums (e.g. pratense, macrorrhizum)
                            Jacob's ladder
                            Honesty
                            Fox gloves
                            Bird's foot trefoil
                            Toadflax
                            Solidago canadensis
                            Scabious
                            Stachys officinalis
                            Wild garlic
                            California poppies
                            Marigolds
                            Borage
                            Daisies
                            Mountain mint
                            Horehound
                            Speedwells
                            Marjoram (self seeds everywhere...)
                            Soapwort
                            Sweet woodruff
                            Lady's bedstraw
                            Creeping jenny
                            Joe pye weed
                            Astrantias
                            Bastard balm
                            Sweet cicely
                            Centaurea / knapweeds
                            Wild strawberries
                            Valerian
                            Red valerian
                            Comfrey
                            Lungwort
                            Bladder campion
                            Sweet violets

I agree about the dead nettles too, but I don't plant them, they just show up.

I'm forgetting some, but I'd need to wander outside with a notepad to complete the list.
                            Last edited by chrisdb; 08-06-2019, 04:40 PM. Reason: Added some

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              I have several, a black, a yellow and a variegated. Pruned back hard they don't ever get leggy.
                              Its not so much that they get leggy, its just that you could never seem to get any leaf growth in the bottom foot or so - may be you have managed the trick somehow though :-)

I reckon they are a good plant anyway for someone creating a wild look - which is why I recommended them.

Comment

My neighbour has a huge purple and pink fuchsia over the wall from me, and it's absolutely covered in bees right now. Flowers for months and lots of insects like it too eg greenfly, capsid bugs etc, so good for birds as well. They also come in smaller sizes so no need to grow a monster.
                                Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X