Help with tree identification please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Do the burial ground owners keep records of which tree is planted where?
    Maybe, but as the grave is of the son of my pal ( who queried the common milkwort plant), she might not feel she wants to ask. I personally have no idea who to contact for tree placement info. As the identification is proving difficult, I might just accept that I don't know the answer and admit to her I'm not the fount of all arboreal knowledge. Why she asks me all these awkward questions, I don't know.

Comment

Do the fruit stay green or do they change colour? And what colour are the flowers?

Comment

I put the pic with the fruit in a plant identification app, and it suggested Common Whitebeam. Does the fruit turn red when ripe?

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/vis...ees/whitebeam/

Comment

Originally posted by Runtpuppy View Post
          I put the pic with the fruit in a plant identification app, and it suggested Common Whitebeam. Does the fruit turn red when ripe?

I reckon you are right on the money with that id - I've never seen one, which would account for my puzzlement :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Runtpuppy View Post

I think you've hit the jackpot Runtpuppy. Thanks to all the grapes. Checking on the tree and its stages is a little difficult as it's some 10 miles away and I only visit the grave when my pal takes me. But I think the problem is solved. Common whitebeam it is. I wonder what puzzle my pal will come up with next.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
              Do the fruit stay green or do they change colour? And what colour are the flowers?
              I've no idea, I don't visit the tree very often, but I think Runtpuppy has hit the nail on the head. Common whitebeam.

Many thanks to everyone for all your help

Comment

Heh. My first thought was that the leaves looked like Swedish Whitebeam....

Comment

Can anyone identify this tree for me...sycamore perhaps? Thank you. Just had a look online I'm now not so sure about the sycamore, there are never any of the helicopter seeds associated with sycamore but there are plenty of seedling around this tree.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3914.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	2383555
                  Last edited by Jay22; 15-05-2019, 12:12 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Looks like a sycamore, Jay. They spring up everywhere.

Comment

That was quick VC! Sycamore was my first thought but I don't ever remember seeing the seeds.
                      sigpic

Comment

They appear in my garden and, to the best of my knowledge, there are no sycamores in mine or the neighbours' gardens, nor in the hedgerows.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          They appear in my garden and, to the best of my knowledge, there are no sycamores in mine or the neighbours' gardens, nor in the hedgerows.
                          I have the same problem, VC. Is it our magnetic personalities? Sycamore seedlings are the bane of my life, especially when next door insist on letting them grow, they like nature to have its own way. When it comes to sycamores and weeds I'm all for dominating nature completely!

Comment

The woodland trust have a tree I'd app for apple and Android - it's currently free

No idea how good it is...
                            sigpic
                            1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Thanks baldy, just downloaded the app. Looks ok so far.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
                                The woodland trust have a tree I'd app for apple and Android - it's currently free

No idea how good it is...
                                Well I know what an apple tree looks like, but I've never seen an Android tree. :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X