No announcement yet.

Sunflower competition 2019

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This selfseeded flower was a bit late getting going and is still flowering despite the frost last night. The silver birch in the background was planted there 30 years ago by my daughter and is looking good in the Autumn sunshine, the photo doesn't do it justice. we moved it from the vegetable plot in a wheelbarrow and I wasn't sure it would survive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LastSun.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	2385641

Comment

• Well the squirrels and birds have demolished mine, so I have a few 12" plus flying saucers in the apple tree for them to finish off. the rest of the heads and stems are along the back fence for overwinter wildlife cover and hopefully a few volunteers next year?!
      V.P.
      The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

• OK so unless there are any late entries, the official (whatever that means) verified (from the photos I've seen and using my own guesswork) results are in.

The award for largest single flower goes to vegi potager.

The award for tallest plant is a dead heat between bario and Mr bones (unless bario ever got a tape measure out).

And a special award for best volunteer sunflower goes to greenishfing, for the massive plant with multiple flowers which just came up on your plot.

Congratulations to everyone who took part, virtual prizes will be in the post in the near future.

Comment

• Thanks for the results Jimny! I'm proud to have featured in the winners list, I never did manage to measure mine, couldn't get near enough to it thanks to the tangled mess of peas and nettles growing under it!
          Well done to all who took part, and thanks Jimny for initiating the competition.
          He-Pep!

Comment

• Congratulations to all the winners.

Great competition. Hope you run it again next year. Hopefully I’ll have the will power to only be a spectator. Not planning on growing any sunflowers next year.

Comment

• Congratulations everyone - and thanks Jimny for an inspirational competition!

Maybe next year, I'll manage to sow some that grow.

Comment

• Thanks Jimny, great bit of fun and congratulations to everyone who was able to take part
                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Congrats to everyone who took part and thanks to Jimny for the thread.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Thanks! I'm sure I'll have loads of volunteer sunflowers next year too. Everyone I know will be encouraged to help themselves again ( there have been an awful lot of sunflowers on our site this year). They quite literally grow like weeds!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X